The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Does running away result in a juvenile criminal record and w

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, May 16 2017 1:33 PM by gangela123. 3 replies.
  • Mon, May 15 2017 4:41 PM

• gangela123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 15 2017
    • FL
    • Posts 14

Does running away result in a juvenile criminal record and w

When I was 16, I ran away with a friend, made in from Miami to Tennessee, where I was met by a police officer and held in a juvenile center until my parents came to pick me up. Do I have a juvenile criminal record. I read that running away is not a criminal offense in these two states. How can I access this information? Will future searches by employers, background investigation, even my law enforcement agencies find this information?

• Mon, May 15 2017 8:46 PM In reply to

Re: Does running away result in a juvenile criminal record and w

gangela123:
    Do I have a juvenile criminal record.

Not because of this event.

gangela123:
    I read that running away is not a criminal offense in these two states.

I didn't check Tennessee because you say you ran away from your home in Florida, but according to this brochure from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (near the bottom of the right text column on page 2), it is not a crime and will not appear on criminal background checks.

• Tue, May 16 2017 9:26 AM In reply to

Google something like "run a criminal background check" and you'll find dozens, if not hundreds, of places that can search your criminal record.  However, juvenile records are generally sealed and inaccessible to anyone except government agencies.

That said, as you noted, running away is not a crime, so it's unlikely there's anything relating to this in any record.

• Tue, May 16 2017 1:33 PM In reply to

• gangela123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 15 2017
    • FL
    • Posts 14

Thank you for your information

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community