The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Do I have a record if a case was closed? no arrest or charge

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, May 16 2017 9:08 PM by gangela123. 14 replies.
  • Mon, May 15 2017 5:07 PM

• gangela123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 15 2017
    • FL
    • Posts 14

Do I have a record if a case was closed? no arrest or charge

Over 15 yrs ago, an employer tried to accuse me of fraud and forgery (faking signature on a timesheet). I decided to pay her the $700 dollars after being contacted by phone by a police officer to inform me that I would be arrested. Short story: I gave the employer a money order for the $700 because although an assistant signed the timesheet, I felt intimidated, therefore when they gave me to option to just pay the money, I did just that. The case was closed, charges not pressed. I was not arrested, no fingerprints or photos taken of me. Does it still show up on the record ? Does is show up as complaint? Was I charged? I am applying for a clerical position in law enforcement agency and I'm concerned. I don't even know where to look for that record if it exists. I don't recall if I was given a case number. This was over 15 years ago. Dade County, FL. Advise is appreciated.

• Mon, May 15 2017 9:28 PM In reply to

Re: Do I have a record if a case was closed? no arrest or charge

Are you SURE that was a police officer on the phone?  You might have been scammed.  It's extra suspicious if they seemed anxious for you to pay by an anonymous method like a money order (in other words, if the reason you paid that way was because they requested it, not because you chose it).

I very much doubt there is any record of this event, but you can try contacting the court that tries criminal cases in Dade County and asking whether they have any records on you.

• Mon, May 15 2017 10:44 PM In reply to

• gangela123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • FL
    • Posts 14

Good point, I don't think it was a scam, but here are the details. A supposed police officer called and explained that I would be arrested, fingerprinted, photographed, and that I would need bond, unless I'd be willing to return the money that I supposedly stole, which in turn he would talk to he employeer and convince them to drop the case. He supposedly spoke to them and informed that I needed to pay in money order or cashier's check. The following day, we met in an office building.

I checked he Dade County criminal justice online records and did not find any cases with my name.

• Mon, May 15 2017 11:22 PM In reply to

• gangela123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • FL
    • Posts 14

Re: Do I have a record if a case was closed? no arrest or ch...

good point, I don't think it was a scam, but here are the details. A supposed police officer called and explained that I would be arrested, fingerprinted, photographed, and that I would need bond, unless I'd be willing to return the money that I supposedly stole, which in turn he would talk to he employeer and convince them to drop the case. He supposedly spoke to them and informed that I needed to pay in money order or cashier's check. The following day, we met in an office building.

I checked he Dade County criminal justice online records and did not find any cases with my name.

• Tue, May 16 2017 8:42 AM In reply to

gangela123:
    The following day, we met in an office building.

Who was "we"?  Just you and the supposed police officer, or just you and the employer, or all three?

If it was just you and the "officer," he might have been a police officer but probably wasn't, and I'd bet he pocketed your money himself and the employer never even knew this whole thing happened.

• Tue, May 16 2017 9:21 AM In reply to

gangela123:
    Over 15 yrs ago, an employer tried to accuse me of fraud and forgery

What does "tried to accuse" mean?  Did you really mean that the employer did accuse you?

gangela123:
    Does it still show up on the record ?

It's not clear what "it" is or what "record" you're talking about.  You told us that someone made an accusaion (or "tried to" make an accusation), that someone claiming to be a cop called you, and that you paid some money.  You wrote that you weren't arrested and that charges weren't pressed, so it's not clear what you're concerned about.

gangela123:
    Does is show up as complaint?

Does WHAT "show up as a complaint"?  Show up where?

gangela123:
    Was I charged?

To quote yourself:  "charges not pressed."  Do you think we have some sort of secret information about this situation beyond what you put in your post?

• Tue, May 16 2017 9:23 AM In reply to

karen2222:
    he might have been a police officer but probably wasn't, and I'd bet he pocketed your money himself and the employer never even knew this whole thing happened.

I caution the OP that this is nothing but baseless speculation.

• Tue, May 16 2017 9:39 AM In reply to

• gangela123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • FL
    • Posts 14

Yes, I met with the police officer (investigator) and the former employer. He was not uniformed, it was not a police station. I can't recall what the office looked like, I do recall the building, mostly law and miscellaneous offices located there. I now wonder how legit everything was.

- angela

• Tue, May 16 2017 9:47 AM In reply to

• gangela123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • FL
    • Posts 14

Thank you for responding. I'm am not asking if you have specific information, merely about the process, if there is no arrest, or charges and a case is closed, does a record remain in your history or is it merely a complaint or a police report? I actually obaind a Dade county police clearance today and nothing came up, I have also search the Dade county clerks online system and nothing came up as well.

- angela

• Tue, May 16 2017 11:34 AM In reply to

gangela123:
    if there is no arrest, or charges and a case is closed, does a record remain in your history

You seem to be assuming that there is some sort of "master record" out there.  There isn't.  If there's no arrest and no charges filed, then there is no "case" to be closed.  As I mentioned, you told us that you weren't arrested and weren't charged.  Obviously, there won't be any records relating to an arrest that didn't occur and charges that weren't filed.

gangela123:
    or is it merely a complaint or a police report?

Is WHAT "merely a complaint or a police report."  A complaint is a complaint, and a police report is a police report.  If the police took a report, then that report exists (unless it has since been destroyed), but that's not the sort of thing that is going to show up on a criminal background check.

• Tue, May 16 2017 12:23 PM In reply to

• gangela123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • FL
    • Posts 14

I understand how, thank you !!!! 

• Tue, May 16 2017 1:41 PM In reply to

gangela123:
    Yes, I met with the police officer (investigator) and the former employer.

If the former employer was there too, that makes it much less likely it was a simple case of extortion.  If that employer paid you for $700 worth of hours you didn't actually work, then of course you owed them that money whether it was given to you because of timesheet fraud or just by mistake.

• Tue, May 16 2017 3:22 PM In reply to

• gangela123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • FL
    • Posts 14

Removing the fact that I worked two weeks, worth $700, an assistant signed my timesheet.

• Tue, May 16 2017 4:24 PM In reply to

gangela123:

Removing the fact that I worked two weeks, worth $700, an assistant signed my timesheet.

So are you saying they underpaid you by $700 based on the assistant-doctored timesheet - and then demanded you also pay them another $700???

Regardless, if this happened over 15 years ago, there is nothing you can do about it now.  Sorry you had that miserable experience.

• Tue, May 16 2017 9:08 PM In reply to

• gangela123
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • FL
    • Posts 14

No, they paid me, and then asked for it back, since the assistant signed the timesheet. So basically the owner claimed I didn't work those hours. It is true, I filled out the timesheet and the assistant signed it. Well, I just really wanted to find out if that would remain in my history, I assume from all the information I have gathered, seems it does not since the situation was solved once I gave the money back. I was young, my exact thoughts were to give the money back rather than get in trouble.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community