The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

city survey is wrong

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Jun 9 2017 5:21 AM by making noise. 6 replies.
  • Sun, Jun 4 2017 1:52 PM

city survey is wrong

City purchased property next to mine. Putting in retention pond on my property line, no buffer zone. My property is straight on both sides. City survey has angled the side of pond to cut corner on building. Showed city engineer the property marker, 12 by 12 block thats sunk 2 or 3 foot down. While gone was removed. City engineer stated the pond was 2 foot off towards my side.Pond is approx. 100 by 200 and 20 foot deep. I have a 8000 square foot building thats 9 foot from this hole. and city is covering bank with grass. My father sold property to city and knew where the original property pin was, even showed it to engineer. New city pin was around four feet difference towards my property. Which shifted the pin on my property to cut into my building.My building was built in the forties last owner and myself has maintained that 3 and ahalf foot strip of land for 30 plus years. There is a 14 foot ally behind property and the city surveyer got right with the old property marker, but again angled it over 3 foot in 200 foot lot. City is upset, before father sold to city he deeded me five foot so I would have nine foot. City claims I have five foot in front and 9 foot in back. Property is straight. Any suggestions would greatly help.

• Sun, Jun 4 2017 10:36 PM In reply to

Re: city survey is wrong

Hire your own survey.

If it contradicts the city survey you will also need to hire a lawyer.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Mon, Jun 5 2017 4:42 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,431

SUggestion ...You need a seasoned land use lawyer, one who does NOT get his bread and butter from City , like darn fast ....to me it seems important to get a stop work order darn soon, IF you hold strong cards..... it will be very hard to undo the pond if it gets completed.  Copies of everything, surveys, all deeds , photos, , aerial views , and copy of law or code that reqiuiresn a buffer or setback for a retention pond ....to attorney up front , don't make him or her do a scavanger hunt ....Ideally find attorney who has taken on local government on land issues and won ....

As a DIY project the city will get it completed long before you sort out the issues. 

• Mon, Jun 5 2017 4:50 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,431

How does one angle a property line if it's not in the deed or somehow by adverse possession and so ordered .  

• Mon, Jun 5 2017 9:43 AM In reply to

Drew:

How does one angle a property line if it's not in the deed or somehow by adverse possession and so ordered .  

The "how" is explained by the "did."

:-)

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Mon, Jun 5 2017 12:22 PM In reply to

making noise:
    Any suggestions would greatly help.

If you have a disagreement with your neighbor regarding the location of the boundary line between your two properties, consult with a local real estate attorney.  If necessary, you can file suit and have the court enter an order that establishes the line.

• Fri, Jun 9 2017 5:21 AM In reply to

Up date; 

In 2013 city of Pekin illinois purchased property next to mine. City hired a surveyor out of pekin to do the survey. City just finished a large retintion pond on it, now wanting to put up fence. On 6-8-17 city had a new surveyor out of peoria resurvey and stated the other survey pins between property should be two foot back on my property which cuts the whole side of a 8000 square foot building that was built in 1944. My father, bless his sole deeded me five foot, now which is only three foot pass building, thank god. For what reason would a surveyor place pins in wrong location. Which does make my property shorter than 100 foot across if counting the two feet back from pin. Was it for the city to negotiate for my building since they had planed owning two feet, but did not count on the five foot deeded by my father? Property still angles. In my opinion something seems wrong with this picture. I have served my country honorably, I am turning 62 this year in transition with no income coming in at this point. Any iformation would greatly be appriciated for help.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community