The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

My lawyer is withdrawing, need help please

Latest post Tue, Jun 13 2017 6:45 AM by Taxagent. 7 replies.
  • Fri, Jun 9 2017 1:28 PM

• joey791
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2017
    • LA
    • Posts 3

My lawyer is withdrawing, need help please

I retained my lawyer in July 2015 for a divorce, covenant marriage, in Louisiana. I paid the retainer and have been going to court with my lawyer. In December of 2015 there was a judgement rendered that he was supposed type up and file and do the paperwork on that he never did. Even though my spouse was cheating, she was awarded alimony. I paid alimony until August 2016 when my lawyer told me I didn't have to pay anymore. In Jan. of 2017 my spouse took me to court for contempt for non payment of alimony and won. I am now paying her what alimony I was supposed to pay plus what I missed after August 2016. While in court in Jan. 2017 my lawyer told me he would file a motion for my alimony to stop, which he never did. A month ago I asked for my file so I could consult with another lawyer to find out what was going on with my case, that's when I found out that he never officially wrote and turned in the judgement from Dec. 2015 and that he didn't file the motion like he told me he would in Jan. 2017 to end my alimony. I returned my file and requested an appointment(he never returns any of my calls over the past 2 years) in person, then my father also did in person because I was at work. I recently lost my job and have called at least 3 times to get an appointment to see what is going on because he took that me asking for my file I was no longer using him, which I told his receptionist on several occasions I am. Today I received a letter in the mail saying he is withdrawing as my counsel, I am already a negative 2K in the hole every month because I have all the bills from the marriage and that's not including my alimony. All lawyers I've talked too want 2.5K-5K for a retainer which I don't have. I called the court house and they giggled and said I need to find a new lawyer, I don't know what I can do or what course I have. Any help is really appreciated, thank you.

• Fri, Jun 9 2017 2:19 PM In reply to

Re: My lawyer is withdrawing, need help please

Not really sure what you expect anyone here to tell you.  You either find a new lawyer or figure out how to do things yourself.  We can answer questions you have, but any sort of step-by-step "how to" guide would be way beyond the scope of a message board.

• Fri, Jun 9 2017 3:20 PM In reply to

• joey791
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • LA
    • Posts 3

Awesome, my lawyer didn't do judgements he was paid to do and that's your advice, thanks....................................................................................

• Fri, Jun 9 2017 3:48 PM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,478

No, that is not advise as the rules of the site prohibit giving legal advise as do the rules of the  bar associations of which some of us are remembered.  You can file a  complaint with the bar association governing lawyers in your state.

• Fri, Jun 9 2017 5:11 PM In reply to

• joey791
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • LA
    • Posts 3

Thank you Docar, I at least have a starting point now, I appreciate it.

• Mon, Jun 12 2017 10:31 AM In reply to

joey791:
    Awesome, my lawyer didn't do judgements he was paid to do and that's your advice, thanks.

You're welcome, but nothing I wrote was "advice" because (a) your question wasn't susceptible of "advice," and (b) the rules of this forum expressly say to "[r]efrain from giving advice" and "that none of us can give legal advice on this website."  Similarly, this site's terms of service have an entire paragraph disclaiming any legal advice.  When you signed up to post here, you certified that you had read and understood both of these documents.

• Tue, Jun 13 2017 2:39 AM In reply to

• snslaw
      Lawyer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 14 2016
    • NY
    • Posts 8

I think you are in big trouble. If you are living in NYC, Once you can visit us for free consultation.

• Tue, Jun 13 2017 6:45 AM In reply to

snslaw:

I think you are in big trouble. If you are living in NYC, Once you can visit us for free consultation.

If you had read the term of service of this site, you'd have known solicitation posts are prohibited. If you had read the original post in this thread, you'd know that the original poster is in Lousiana, not NYC. Frankly, based on those two errors I would avoid your law firm as it indicates your firm lacks the kind of attention to detail that a good lawyer needs to have.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community