The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Setting up a s-corp subsidiary and transfer of assetts

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Nov 27 2008 7:44 PM by Taxagent. 1 replies.
  • Thu, Nov 27 2008 3:27 PM

• Scottwm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 27 2008
    • Posts 1

Setting up a s-corp subsidiary and transfer of assetts

I own the majority (85%) of an S-Corp in Wash. State that has real estate among it's assetts . I would like to set up a LLC subsidiary and transfer the real estate if possible into the LLC. First, can a S-Corp own a LLC and if so can it transfer assetts into the LLC with negative tax issues? Second, would I be able to sale a partial intrest in the LLC as a way to raise capitol for the S-Corp without dilution for the parent S-Corp? Lastly, are there any good resources that anyone can sugest?
  • Thu, Nov 27 2008 7:44 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: Setting up a s-corp subsidiary and transfer of assetts

"First, can a S-Corp own a LLC and if so can it transfer assetts into the LLC with negative tax issues?"

S-Corporation is a tax term. Under state law, it's just a corporation like any other. A corporation can own a LLC and this happens all the time. There is no rule in the federal tax law that prohibits a S-corporation from owning a LLC either. A LLC is that 100% owned by the S-corp is ignored under federal tax law (known as a "disregarded entity") and is instead treated as simply a branch or division of the S-corporation. As a result, the S-corporation can transfer any asset it has to its wholly owned LLC without any federal tax consequences whatsoever.

"Second, would I be able to sale a partial intrest in the LLC as a way to raise capitol for the S-Corp without dilution for the parent S-Corp?"

Well, you couldn't sell the interest in the LLC since you don't own the shares, but the S-corporation could. Doing that, however, turns the LLC into a partnership for federal tax purposes and will have tax consequences for the S-corporation and its shareholders. A tax attorney should be consulted to guide you through that.

Further, I cannot imagine anyone buying into the LLC without getting a share of it, so the S-corporation's interest in the LLC would, of course, be diluted in the process. That would not, however, affect at all the ownership of the S-corporation.

There may be issues relating to the sale of a security that the S-corporation will have to be concerned about in selling the LLC interests and it would be a good idea to consult a security lawyer regarding that aspect of it.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community