Breaking Teaching Contract

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 08-07-2007 4:07 PM by Drew. 4 replies.
  • 08-03-2007 7:10 PM

Breaking Teaching Contract

I was in the midst of the interview process for a new teaching job, when the deadline for submitting my contract for next school year with my current employer approached. I was offered a second interview, but it is after the date (today) that the other was due. I simply could not risk not having a job. I went ahead and submitted my contract.

I am currently recieving pay for last school year. I am not due to report until August 27. I have my second interview on August 13. Am I bound to the contract as of today or the day I am due to report and recieve pay for the year?

My district has not followed the law in regard to the assignment of a mentor, evaluations of my performance, IDP, etc.

What type of consequences am I facing if I try and resign now?
  • 08-03-2007 9:17 PM In reply to

More [=+=] re: Breaking Teaching Contract

I forgot to say that the contract I signed says, "Employment will commence on August 27, 2007." I sort of take that to mean that I am not bound by the contract until that date, but am I wrong?
  • 08-04-2007 1:32 AM In reply to

Question [=?] re: Breaking Teaching Contract

Withotu reading your contract it is virtually impossible to answer your question.

What date does the contract list as the effective date, for example? What does it say about damages?

Have you discussed this with your union?
  • 08-04-2007 3:01 AM In reply to

re: Breaking Teaching Contract

"Am I bound to the contract as of today or the day I am due to report and recieve pay for the the year? The contract I signed says, "Employment will commence on August 27, 2007." I sort of take that to mean that I am not bound by the contract until that date, but am I wrong?"

Yes, I would say you are wrong. When you sign a contract today and agree to do something in the future, your obligation is effective today unless there is something in the contract that says you can back out between now and the 27th.

"My district has not followed the law in regard to the assignment of a mentor, evaluations of my performance, IDP, etc."

Absolutely irrelevant to your new contract.

If you believed that the district breached the contract in the past you had remedies available in the past for the breach and you still might. But that has nothing to do with your new contract.

"What type of consequences am I facing if I try and resign now?"

Whatever consequences are spelled out in your contract and any state or local laws regulating teachers' contracts.

Consult an attorney who specializes in education employment law.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 08-07-2007 4:07 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,151

re: Breaking Teaching Contract

Your bigger problem is that your other interview/offer will probably disappear before you get it.

I take it some schools use a bit of a backdoor network to keep labor competition down and freeze out folks who seek upward mobility. That phone call can be a killer!

I strongly suggest you CLAM up and not do anying until you have clear ducks in order. To me that means not until you have a firm written offer from your new prospect--one that passes measure of your counsel!

And you probably want to review how the game is played in your state with paid labor counsel familiar with local SD "games"

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community