How often can you garnish/levy a bank account?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, May 7 2007 4:00 PM by ca19lawyer2. 4 replies.
  • Sun, May 6 2007 8:21 AM

How often can you garnish/levy a bank account?

We have a judgement against a couple for unpaid rent and damages here in PA. How many times a year can we levy their bank account? My husband was told by an attorney (just a casual conversation) that you can only do it twice a year but I have been unable to substantiate that info.

This same attorney also said that you have to accompany the debtor to the prothonotary's office to enter the satisfaction of judgement when they pay? I was unaware that you had to actually go with the debtor I thought you could just file a satisfaction of judgement?
  • Sun, May 6 2007 11:14 AM In reply to

re: How often can you garnish/levy a bank account?

"We have a judgement against a couple for unpaid rent and damages here in PA. How many times a year can we levy their bank account? My husband was told by an attorney (just a casual conversation) that you can only do it twice a year but I have been unable to substantiate that info."

Go to the court and ask for the forms and instructions. That should answer all your questions. If it doesn't, go to the local law library and look up the statutes on levying bank accounts.

"This same attorney also said that you have to accompany the debtor to the prothonotary's office to enter the satisfaction of judgement when they pay? I was unaware that you had to actually go with the debtor I thought you could just file a satisfaction of judgement?"

I don't know if that's a legal requirement or just a common practice but if I was the debtor I'd certainly want to make sure the satisfaction was filed in my presence when I handed over the money.

However, if you levy a bank account and get the full amount of the judgment you can probably just file the satisfaction yourself.
    • The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Mon, May 7 2007 10:24 AM In reply to

re: How often can you garnish/levy a bank account?

In my state, a judgment creditor can serve a bank levy every day. I don't think any PA lawyers follow these boards, so no one here is in a position to contradict what the PA lawyer told your husband. However, I would be surprised if you can only do it twice a year.
  • Mon, May 7 2007 12:43 PM In reply to

Disagree [)*(] re: How often can you garnish/levy a bank account?

Under CCP 699.510, you can only get a writ issued once every 180 days.
  • Mon, May 7 2007 4:00 PM In reply to

Disagree [)*(] It has nothing to do with how often one can get a writ

"Under CCP 699.510, you can only get a writ issued once every 180 days."

That's not what CCP 699.510 says. It says, "a new writ may not be issued for a county until the expiration of 180 days after the issuance of a prior writ for that county UNLESS the prior writ is first returned."

The county sheriffs will return a writ to the court that issued it upon request.

Additionally, a judgment creditor can levy as many times as it wants under a single writ. A creditor does not need a new writ every time it wants a levy.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community