Grandfather Clause on Septic Systems

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 03-27-2007 12:03 PM by buey. 4 replies.
  • 03-19-2007 7:07 PM

• buey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-19-2007
    • Posts 3

Question [=?] Grandfather Clause on Septic Systems

I live in NC and bought a house with 56 acres aprox 10 years ago that was built in the 1930's.
    Due to a divorce, I have to separate house with 1 acre and an adjacent 23 acre tract under my name. Remaining acreage will be under my wife's name. Survey has been done.

Problem is that house does have an old septic system with a holding tank only; no drain lines due to rocky terrain. Health board wants me to redirect discharge water coming from kitchen & bathroom sink and tub onto septic system. Washer is already hooked up to system.

Holding tank is not big enough to hold all that water and health board would not approved tract split unless I redirect lines,,,, Can anyone shed some light if this property could fall under grandfather clause?

Thanks
  • 03-20-2007 11:44 AM In reply to

re: Grandfather Clause on Septic Systems

"Can anyone shed some light if this property could fall under grandfather clause?"

First you have to find the grandfather clause.

Ask the health board to cite you the statutes and codes that require the update when a subdivision occurs.

My educated guess is that you are going to have to do it.
    • The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 03-23-2007 9:46 AM In reply to

“Problem is that house does have an old septic system with a holding tank only; no drain lines due to rocky terrain.”

You have no leach lines coming out of the septic tank? I see a real possibility that the health department will require you to add leach lines as well!

Subdividing usually requires that you meet all requirements of many departments… sewer, road access, and water availability. There’s no grandfathering that I know of.

If it were me, I’d be talking with septic installers and making plans to put in all of the proper lines, into and out of the tank. If you can’t put the new leach lines on your one acre, perhaps you can get an easement to put them across part of the 23 acres. In the long run, you’ll be glad you did it. If you ever sell your home, you’ll want your septic done right so that it doesn’t cause buyers to turn away.
  • 03-27-2007 12:03 PM In reply to

• buey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-19-2007
    • Posts 3

Thanks for the info. My plans are to built a modern log cabin on the 23 adjacent acres in a couple of years and bulldoze existing house. It does not make sense at the present to spent $$$ on a new septic system and then do it again in a few years.

Thansk for your response
  • 03-27-2007 12:04 PM In reply to

• buey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-19-2007
    • Posts 3

I will get info from health board. Thanks for your reply

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community