New Jersey: Landlord to paint apt before move-in

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 03-22-2007 11:59 AM by Max_Rikyo. 3 replies.
  • 03-22-2007 10:15 AM

Question [=?] New Jersey: Landlord to paint apt before move-in

Hello,

My new landlord is planning on painting the apartment just before we move in.
    My wife is worried that the paint smell might be harmful, and a friend of her told her that the landlord as the obligation to wait for 15 days before renting out the apartment.
    Is that something true ?

Thank a lot in advance,
    Nicolas
  • 03-22-2007 11:34 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,982

re: New Jersey: Landlord to paint apt before move-in

I am unaware of any such obligation or safety need--it may make sense to air it out for several hours--but it 's NOT lead based it it verly likely is low VOC anyway.

But if you are counting on things being painted BEFORE I move in I'd have a basic note to that effect as part of lease--so there are no unpleasant suprises----the last thing you want is somebody to show up with a pressure sprayer 10 days after you moved in --because of unavoidable delays----blah blah.

• 03-22-2007 11:36 AM In reply to

No. I don't know what the heck your wife's friend is talking about. Ask her to quote a statute vs. re-quoting something she evidently heard or read "somewhere".

I also don't know what your wife is worried about. You don't see interior painter being listed on the top of any dangerous job list (e.g., commercial fisherman), and they are around paint all the time.

You're free to ask the landlord to use a low VOC paint if you're worried about this.
  • 03-22-2007 11:59 AM In reply to

To my unprofessional but rather sizeable knowledge of NJ LL/T regulations and statutes, no locale has such requirement. Some landlords prefer a 2-3 days wait-off after painting, to air out the worst of the smell and to avoid getting the walls dirty, but that's a purely business decision.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community