Charge rent for extra tenants?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 07-05-2007 11:40 AM by Fxston. 7 replies.
  • 07-03-2007 5:39 PM

Charge rent for extra tenants?

Can one charge extra rent for extra tenants? Or could that be construed as a form of familial discrimination? Say for example we have a 2 bedroom for rent. If 2 people rent it we charge them $1000/month. But if a group of 4 rent it we tack on an extra 50$/month. Is that ok?
  • 07-03-2007 5:51 PM In reply to

re: Charge rent for extra tenants?

I'm sure you're free to charge extra based on number of people, but the question would be why take that particular fact into consideration. You're free to ask how many occupants there will be before you tell them what you want to charge for rent. If you want to ask for a larger security deposit because you anticipate greater damages, that might be way to address it.

Just personal opinion. I also think the phenomenon of monthly pet rent is weird as well, esp. when the landlord can't explain why they're charging more, e.g., that they want to spread around the cost of X, Y or Z legit extra costs to those who have pets. What costs those might be, who knows -- perhaps extra liability insurance, or extra lawn care costs to address those (not-so) pretty "urine circles". :)
  • 07-03-2007 6:14 PM In reply to

well in this case, the tenants have been living there and have asked to add a roommate, so they already know how much the rent is obviously.
  • 07-03-2007 7:24 PM In reply to

I should think you don't need to up it for *that stated reason*. The notion that you can raise it tells me they are on a month-to-month lease. In that case, you're free to raise the rent up to 6 times a year if you want for no reason at all so long as you give them proper advanced written notice. (If you're in a rent-controlled city-county, presumably you would already know rules on that.)

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/index.shtml

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/living-in.shtml
  • 07-03-2007 8:08 PM In reply to

Sure I understand that we could raise the rent for "no stated reason" but could raising the rent because of extra residents be construed as a type of familial discrimination. I.e if the tenants were to complain to the local housing authorities that we raised rent on them solely because they had extra members in the household, would fair housing even care?

As another example if we raised rent on a unit because it has hardwood floors rather than carpet, and the tenants complain to housing....Fair housing could care less. However if the tenants claimed we raised rent on them because they were african american, you can bet that Fair Housing would take an interest in the matters, as we can't discrimate based on race.

So my question is, is raising rent because of increase number of residents perfectly acceptable? or can it be looked at as a type of familial discrimination?
  • 07-04-2007 2:47 AM In reply to

CA LL attorneys suggest not raising specific to head count. Simply give notice required and raise the rent period.

ALSO...if you are in a local rent control area...they are MUCH MORE strict re: just about everything so play by the book for sure.
  • 07-05-2007 11:40 AM In reply to

"Sure I understand that we could raise the rent for "no stated reason" but could raising the rent because of extra residents be construed as a type of familial discrimination."

I suppose so but, again, why you'd insist on raising the rent and stating it is for X purpose when you don't have to mention any purpose is beyond me. It seems you aren't really processing my responses in this regard.

"However if the tenants claimed we raised rent on them because they were african american, you can bet that Fair Housing would take an interest in the matters, as we can't discrimate based on race."

Tenants can claim anything they like; they have to have evidence to back it up. I trust you wouldn't be sending anyone a rent increase notice that says "because you're African American".

• 07-05-2007 12:15 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,151

As a LL I'd be very inclined to charge more for more occupants---much more waer and tear et al--whenet to use that as a reason escapes me---I think I'd just short ansd sweet raise it by $ X at next lawful interval.

PS If I rent it to 2 for 1000 I don't think $50 is enough to compensate for added wear and tear of 1 more...I'd be inclined to increase it more than $50---unless rent controlled...

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community