Landlords duty to stop tenant harassment ?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 07-05-2007 4:45 PM by blaznredhottee. 4 replies.
  • 07-05-2007 1:42 PM

Question [=?] Landlords duty to stop tenant harassment ?

Please tell me what is expected of a landlord under california laws to stop one tenant from physically harassing another tenant. On two occassions last night while all of the families were outside lighting fireworks being the latest our children witnessed one tenant and 2 of his buddies beating up another tenant.I myself am terrified that
    next time A gun might be involved and my son may be outside playing at the time.The landlord seems to think that it is not his problem when it comes to these kinds of issues,he says call the police. Any responce Id like to print out and hand my landlord a copy. Thanks for your time
  • 07-05-2007 1:54 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,268

re: Landlords duty to stop tenant harassment ?

The LL does not run a social institution--if one tenant beats up another, one of them presses criminal charges and sure for civil damages etc----

• 07-05-2007 1:58 PM In reply to

"Please tell me what is expected of a landlord under california laws to stop one tenant from physically harassing another tenant."

Probably very little (that said, if he's been put on notice that someone's a serious problem and someone later gets hurt, he might bear some third-party liability in terms of negligence if he didn't try to evict tenant).

Have you been calling the cops??

• 07-05-2007 2:30 PM In reply to

Landlords powers are limited when it comes to the behavior of their tenants. I had a similar situation arise and it was the blame game. One would complain the other was harassing them, the other tenant claimed it was the other way around. I suggest you do a google search for California LL Tenant, substantial violation etc... there is likely a statute that would give the LL just cause to terminate a tenancy for assulting another tenant. The problem is the blame game. The LL will need proof and this means that a police report and officer findings will play a big role. As the others have suggest, call the cops and let them investigate. After a few calls and some history on this bad guy, the LL will have cause to evict. Problem is the LL may not be able to get police reports, especially if these are minors.
    I would recommend that the victim to the assult obtain a copy of report and submit to LL.

If you get too involved in it, you may find yourself looking for another place to live so tread lightly.
  • 07-05-2007 4:45 PM In reply to

Ok [+0+] re: Landlords duty to stop tenant harassment ?

yes police were called ,thanks for replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community