Eviction of Adult Child Ohio

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 08-08-2007 1:30 PM by Drew. 4 replies.
  • 08-08-2007 2:45 AM

Question [=?] Eviction of Adult Child Ohio

The situation is a parent agreed to allow a 20 year old adult child move back into the home with the agreement that the "child" would maintain employment and help general tidiness of the home. After moving in for 2 weeks the "child" no long was employed and has not helped in the upkeep of the home. This has been an ongoing issue for 2 years. Under what grounds can the "child" be evicted since there was not a lease or rent amount established?

Please help as this matter is getting uglier by the day. Also, the police have been called on a few occasions but no charges were filed and the parent was told if they wanted the "child" out eviction proceedings would have to begin. Are the visits from the police recorded and if so can they be used as grounds for eviction?

Thank you
  • 08-08-2007 9:42 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,136

re: Eviction of Adult Child Ohio

Laymans comments:

The police are not there for legal advice and most likley they will try to duck "domestic" issues sometimes with incorrect information.

It is NOT clear to me at all if an adult child living in a parents home WITHOUT rent is a tenant situation covered by OH's L-T laws. I strongly suggest you actually read and seek counsel on OH's actual laws!

If the person is NOT a tenant it may be legally not barred to merely toss him/lock him out and post the place no trespassing and notice him not to trespass and have him arrested for trespass if he comes back.

If he is a tenant then one needs to folow due process.

I think it 100% smarter to review options with counsel first and NOT to discuss it with others.

If Mom lacks a spine she better go rent one!

• 08-08-2007 11:11 AM In reply to

Ok [+0+] re: Eviction of Adult Child Ohio

Thank you for advice. Luckily it is not "mom" looking for the help. Glad it is not me in this situation.

I will further look into this based on your thoughts.

Thank you very much.
  • 08-08-2007 11:26 AM In reply to

"Under what grounds can the "child" be evicted since there was not a lease or rent amount established?"

Under the grounds that you've given them proper termination of tenancy notice and they refuse to leave.

You sure you haven't posted about this before?

"Are the visits from the police recorded and if so can they be used as grounds for eviction?"

You don't need a reason for eviction beyond his refusal to leave after being given proper notice of termination of his tenancy.

Talk with a local real estate attorney.
  • 08-08-2007 1:30 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,136

I repeat, the person may save themselves a whole lot of steps by a careful review with counsel as to if a person who shares ones home and who is NOT entitled to exclusive use of some portion is in fact covered by OH's L-T laws. This is a rather tricky area of the "definitions" section and I suggest skilled counsel review inc case law.

In some places one can toss a guest or roommate or housemate without due process under L-T laws--Its well worth checking OH rules first!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community