Orange County Eviction Process

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Oct 5 2007 11:25 AM by Fxston. 2 replies.
  • Thu, Oct 4 2007 11:58 PM

Orange County Eviction Process

I'm attempting to evict my tenant for non-payment of rent. I let them move in 5/26/07, lease started 6/1/07. 1st months rent was paid since I collected when they signed the lease. So essentially July and August have been late every month. Always past the 15th.
    It is now October 4th and they still haven't paid Sept or October yet.
    Can anyone tell me the eviction process? I was told to start by sending a certified return receipt letter demanding a pay or quit letter but it doesn't specify how long I have to give them? 3 days or more?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated since I can't afford an attorney. Paying mortgage and my rent at the same time. Looks like I'll have to go through the process myself.
  • Fri, Oct 5 2007 12:00 AM In reply to

Correction: Orange County, NY Eviction Process

Sorry the location is Orange County, NY
  • Fri, Oct 5 2007 11:25 AM In reply to

re: Correction: Orange County, NY Eviction Process

"Can anyone tell me the eviction process?"

No one can or will walk you through this process over a message board. You need to do research of the statutes or talk with a local real estate attorney (assuming you can't sweet-talk a clerk in the landlord-tenant court to walk you through it).

"I was told to start by sending a certified return receipt letter demanding a pay or quit letter but it doesn't specify how long I have to give them? 3 days or more?"

First, you don't have to send any such notice via certified mail anywhere I know of. As for how many days the notice must cover, that's state-specific.

".... since I can't afford an attorney."

If you didn't want to familiarize yourself with the various aspects of becoming a landlord and did not set aside money for possible problems, I'm afraid that you should not have gotten into the investment property game. You need to hit a local library and start looking at the statutes, and also hit the local courthouse. Since these things are a matter of public record, you can look over someone else's eviction case paperwork.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community