The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

pa tenant's landlord raising rent? is this legal?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, Oct 31 2007 4:47 PM by Drew. 3 replies.
  • Wed, Oct 31 2007 9:33 AM

• vetasmom
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 31 2007
    • Posts 1

Question [=?] pa tenant's landlord raising rent? is this legal?

i live in pennsylvania. i do not have a written lease with my landlord. i was paying $535/month for the past year and 11 months. he sent me a letter on oct 20th stating that my rent would go up $65/month starting nov. 1st. i've been doing some research and some states require a 30 day notice if the LL is going to raise the rent more than 10%. does anyone know if this is true in PA?
  • Wed, Oct 31 2007 10:44 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,431

re: pa tenant's landlord raising rent? is this legal?

Suggestions from a PA LL (retired):

You are probably right that 30 day notice is required as to a change in rents (I don't recall a 10% provision) and I haven't read the law this week but assume you are right.

Rather than start a fight you cannot win I might politely suggest to LL and confirm in writing w copies that his notice dated 10/20 was a bit short but that I will comply with the new rent as of 1 Dec.

And sit tight, next move is with LL

• Wed, Oct 31 2007 11:56 AM In reply to

re: pa tenant's landlord raising rent? is this legal?

If you're a month-to-month tenant, sure, the landlord is free to raise the rent.

I doubt his notice was proper under state law; most states require a 30-day advance notice. Have no idea what it is in PA, however. I'd contact the local city-county housing authority folks and see if they can point you in the right direction.

That said, do you *really* want him to terminate your tenancy?? I might be inclined to do that if a tenant gave me guff.

Don't see anything specifically about advance notice of rent increase here:

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/Consumers/landlord_tenant_act.pdf
  • Wed, Oct 31 2007 4:47 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,431

re: UPDATE

The 30 day issue probably does not come out of notice but enforcement issues.

PA oral leases can be very quirky and archaic--and as a LL I one got nearly burned by an old oral lease I inherited.

See PA 250.501 as to three year leases , last sentence where it mandates that oral leases more than one year old are yearly leases.

Your lease is well more tha 1 year old, nearly 2.

There is a very big problem as to if late notice very near end of one tem is effextive as to next term--or only at END of next term. EG notice 15 days before 3d yr begins may not take effect until 30 days later--by which time lease has renewed under OLD terms.

Notice of nonrenewal typically requires 30 days prior notice --but its not absolutely clear that notice or increase does--but absent a lease the LL eats it on ambiguities!

Lay times out carefully on paper, review it with counsel!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community