Can someone else represent me in Small Claims Court?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 03-08-2007 9:32 PM by ichigo. 5 replies.
  • 03-06-2007 8:33 PM

• ichigo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Posts 3

Question [=?] Can someone else represent me in Small Claims Court?

Hello,
    I live and work overseas. My company has a dispute with a business in Washington state over their failure to pay for goods which we provided.
    I cannot justify the expense of traveling to Washington in order to file a small claim ($3500).
    Is it legal to send a local representative, not a part of our company, but someone hired for the purpose, to make the claim on our behalf?
  • 03-07-2007 9:58 AM In reply to

re: Can someone else represent me in Small Claims Court?

WA small claims limit is 4000.

Here's the link to court rules and procedures:

http://www.courts.wa.gov/newsinfo/resources/index.cfm?fa=newsinfo_jury.scc&altMenu=smal

Attorneys are typically excluded from small claims court in WA unless you get the judge's permission.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember that WA is one of the few states that do allow you to appoint a non-lawyer to speak for you.

But I can't tell you that for sure.

The link I gave you has links to rules and statutes.

You'll have to do a little research on your own.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 03-07-2007 11:00 AM In reply to

Question [=?] re: Can someone else represent me in Small Claims Court?

What is the business entity form of your "company"?
  • 03-07-2007 1:56 PM In reply to

Corrected link...

The link above goes to the Juror orientation page. You can get from there to the small claims page easily enough, but here's a direct link to the small claims page.

http://www.courts.wa.gov/newsinfo/resources/index.cfm?fa=newsinfo_jury.scc&altMenu=smal

You can be represented, in WA, by a lawyer or paralegal if the judge gives permission.

Richard
  • 03-08-2007 9:26 PM In reply to

• ichigo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Posts 3

re: Can someone else represent me in Small Claims Court?

Hello, thank you for the question. I work for a limited stock company incorporated in Japan. The stock in the company is not publicly traded. There are about 40 employees.
  • 03-08-2007 9:32 PM In reply to

• ichigo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Posts 3

re: Corrected link...

Hello Richard,

Thank you for the reply, and the link to more detailed information. We are located in Japan, but have an agent who could be said to be temporarily an employee, on a contract basis, to help us resolve this issue locally. I was hoping that he might be allowed to represent us. He is not a lawyer, or a paralegal- just someone who used to work for us over here, and moved back to the States a while back. Do you think the Court would object to this kind of representation?

-Art
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community