Need to sue Housing Authority for Discrimination, etc

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 06-18-2007 3:31 PM by LynnM. 8 replies.
  • 05-29-2007 6:11 AM

• MsDebi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-29-2007
    • Posts 7

Sad [:(] Need to sue Housing Authority for Discrimination, etc

Having difficult time with what type case mine is but believe it is civil.
    For several years I resided at a housing authority complex that is HUD assisted for senior, disabled & low income. Was considered model tenant nor did I drink, drugs, etc. and loved/cared about my neighbors, and always help who I could. Still have many friends there. Then new director was elected and at his own suggestion, I formed HUD Tenant Advisory Committee according to HUD's regulations. But things turned sour when this director learned he had no control over commitee and became vengeful.
    I then gave proper notice of vacating my apartment (even allowing to be shown anytime for re-rental) as I was getting married. After I was moved out the retaliation began, first they tried to keep my deposit for bogus reasons, then also my pet deposit for bogus reasons, causing me to become defensive to my honor.
    Within 6 mo's I realized marriage was mistake and re-applied at housing authority with low income, disabled & homeless status, but was denied. Told me via email "I had issues with staff and should seek other means", then another letter of denial stated "I was some sort of threat to the tenants there". All of which is defamation to me personally when this is plain retaliation for my affiliation with tenant advisory commitee. According to HUD this is illegal. I filed complaint with HUD, was accepted and under investigation by human rights.
    I need to fight this or they can prevent me from my civil right to disabled/lHud assisted housing. The emotional damages are harsh as they cause me extreme chronic pain with my disabilities and I've had to be put on several anti-depressants as a result, plu having no where to live, I had to return to my husbands home where I now suffer further emotional problems.
    I really need a good fighting attorney and I have many documents to prove my case.
    Someone please help?????
  • 05-29-2007 9:25 AM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-23-2003
    • Posts 6,519

re: Need to sue Housing Authority for Discrimination, etc

Referrals aren't given, and attorneys don't troll boards. You'll have to attorney search on your own. Try the Find a Lawyer search to the right.

"I realized marriage was mistake and re-applied at housing authority with low income, disabled & homeless status, but was denied."

I hardly think that your membership in an advisory committee was the reason for refusal to rent. You had a place; you gave it up; you want the place back again. (And, you even want the deposit refunded that the lessor had to use to get the place cleaned up for a new lessee.) You are probably back on the Section 8 apartment availability waiting list.

There are other people on the HUD list. Nothing stated sounds like illegal discrimination. But, as initially suggested, do an attorney search and discuss your situation with him/her.
  • 05-30-2007 10:24 AM In reply to

• MsDebi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-29-2007
    • Posts 7

Disagree [)*(] re: Need to sue Housing Authority for Discrimination, etc

Appreciate your input, however yes there is a HUD law that apt management cannot retaliate against you for your affiliation with the tenant advisory committee, which is exactly what they did. I have documents to prove it. This case was accepted by HUD and by Human Rights whom is currently investigating.
    I was considered a model tenant, I did not drink, do drugs, party, etc. I went out of my way to help other tenants and the management whenever I could. I even taught senior/disabled how to use computers etc. I was NEVER reprimanded for any wrong doing.
    No, they did not have to use my deposit to clean the apt as it was left cleaner and repainted, plus I cleaned my own carpets, then when I rented it. I am very clean person. They were able to re-rent that apt without doing anything, infact I allowed them to show it as soon as I gave my proper 30 day notice. Not wanting to refund my deposit was pure harrassement.
    No, there was no waiting list, there never has been for this complex.
    I realize I must do a search for an attorney, I was merely hoping someone knew of a good one to handle this type of case and could give me some suggestions. I'm not even certain what type of case this would be, discrimination or civil.
    Geesh, atleast I didnt try to drive down the road with a hot cup of McDonalds coffee between my legs and sculd myself then sue McD's for damages. I have a real legitimate case.
    Thanks again for your input, but you made a poor judgement regarding me personally claiming they had to clean my apt.
  • 05-30-2007 12:40 PM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-23-2003
    • Posts 6,519

Disagree [)*(] re: Need to sue Housing Authority for Discrimination, etc

"you made a poor judgement regarding me personally claiming they had to clean my apt."

A judgment? First you state, "they tried to keep my deposit for bogus reasons, then also my pet deposit for bogus reasons." After my speculation you advance from the descriptive "bogus reasons" to "they did not have to use my deposit to clean the apt as it was left cleaner and repainted, plus I cleaned my own carpets, then when I rented it. I am very clean person. They were able to re-rent that apt without doing anything, infact I allowed them to show it as soon as I gave my proper 30 day notice." (For the record, no "judgment" was made about you.)

"there is a HUD law that apt management cannot retaliate against you for your affiliation with the tenant advisory committee..."

Where did I say they could? Rather, I stated "I hardly think that your membership in an advisory committee was the reason for refusal to rent." In other words, I'm stating that something seems to be missing from this occurrence.

Message boards can neither predict, advise nor refer. Again, as initially suggested, do an attorney search and discuss your situation with him/her.

• 05-31-2007 12:02 AM In reply to

• MsDebi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-29-2007
    • Posts 7

Sad [:(] re: Need to sue Housing Authority for Discrimination, etc

I'm sorry, but who did you say you were again? I know your not an attorney as ''attorneys don't troll boards".
    I do believe this Message board was designed for folks such as myself to freely discuss issue's, just as I have done. But you give me the distinct impression of playing judge & jury with my issue when you clearly don't have all the facts.

This is a big case and I cannot possibly tell the whole story in 100 words or less, plus due to a broken right arm, I'm having to type lefty with a hand that also has carpel tunnel. Therefore I've tried to just list the basics.

"I hardly think that your membership in an advisory committee was the reason for refusal to rent. You had a place; you gave it up; you want the place back again. (And, you even want the deposit refunded that the lessor had to use to get the place cleaned up for a new lessee.) You are probably back on the Section 8 apartment availability waiting list." I gave them NO other reason personally as a tenant to refuse to rent to me. They attempted to retain my deposits for bogus reasons, thereby attempting to change my lease contract without legally adding an addendum to everyone's lease. In this geographical area, there is minute to no waiting lists for HUD assistance or these apartments.

The retaliation began because as chairman of the Tenant Advisory Commitee, I went before the Housing Authority board with issue's that angered the Director (the management as I referred to originally) because several of the issue's were regarding he & his new staff's poor public relations and how badly & disrespectful they treated much of the tenants. He was also reprimanded after I attempted to start an Easter activity and asked him for a few dollars out of the activities funds only to be told there was no money, when infact there was more then sufficient funds as the board informed me. There were several other issue's brought to my attention by the tenants concerns that I took before the board and undoubtedly angered the director and his staff. Which is EXACTLY WHY they refused to re-rent to me claiming "I had issues with the staff and should seek other means". Again, I was NEVER served any notice verbal or written regarding my personal life as a tenant for them to claim "I had issue's with the staff".
    I could write about much more but I believe I've explained enough for folks to understand that I do have a real case of discrimination. After all, HUD themselves accepted the complaint after reviewing the facts.
    Thank you Lawyers.com for giving me this opportunity to even vent about my unfortunate situation.
  • 05-31-2007 8:19 AM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-23-2003
    • Posts 6,519

re: Need to sue Housing Authority for Discrimination, etc

"I'm sorry, but who did you say you were again?"

Don't believe I did...But since you've asked, my 30 yr employment history is federal agency to media to state agency.

"you give me the distinct impression of playing judge & jury with my issue when you clearly don't have all the facts."

Correct and incorrect. I don't have all the "facts." The party whom you are issuing complaint about might have something different to state, therefore, I can't play judge/juror in the interests of one person. And, about 75% of what you have stated can probably be wiped away as irrelevant from the legal context.

Besides I've merely attempted to answer your question by indicating that you need to do an attorney search. Even message board attorneys can't advise on questions that "just list the basics."

But I do wish you luck.
  • 06-01-2007 6:25 PM In reply to

Disagree [)*(] That never happened.

"Geesh, atleast I didnt try to drive down the road with a hot cup of ******** coffee between my legs and sculd myself then sue (the store) for damages. I have a real legitimate case."

So did she. Your characterization of the case is WAY out of line.

For the record, the restaurant in question was serving coffee FAR in excess of the maximum legal temperature to do so in the State where it occured, and the reason the lady was burned (and it was not simply a "scalding" - she suffered third degree burns and had to have plastic surgery to her genitals) was that the coffee cup collapsed while still in the drive through lane because it wasn't designed to withstand the near-boiling temperature of the coffee.

Richard
  • 06-18-2007 8:48 AM In reply to

• MsDebi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-29-2007
    • Posts 7

Feedback [*=*] re: That never happened.

Over the years, at the age of 54, I have learned it is COMMON SENSE that ANY cup of coffee is (or preferred to be) HOT and can burn. Not only have I drank coffee much of my life, but I have served and/or sold thousands of HOT cups coffee, without severe incident. And the few times I have been sculded from coffee were none other them my own carelessness by grabbing the styrofoam cup at its weakest point (the top half of the cup).
    It is also COMMON SENSE that all styrofoam type materials of which disposable cups are made of, are NOT STURDY and should ALWAYS BE USED WITH CAUTION by ANYONE HANDLING THEM.
    My personal opinion is that IF infact "the coffee was too hot & the cup was not designed for it" WHY had the employee handling the cup & handing the cup out the drive-up window not been burned as well??? And no doubt that particular establishment sells more than ONE cup of coffee a day, apparently with NO other incidents. Never has any establishment forced me to purchase hot coffee. I choose to do it of my own free will, therefore taking on the responsibility of safe handling.
    I feel for the lady that was burnt but do not believe it was fault of the establishment or the cup manufacturer. People are too quick to place blame on someone they can sue as not to accept fault of themselves.
  • 06-18-2007 3:31 PM In reply to

Angry [:@] Clearly you do not know the law or the facts

McDonalds had already been cited for keeping the coffee at dangerously high temperatures - yet they continued to do so.

Their decision to ignore that legal restriction resulted in a woman so seriously burned that she almost died.

THAT is why McDonald's was responsible.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community