Sallie Mae Class Action Lawsuit

Latest post 10-28-2014 11:25 AM by Alesin. 200 replies.
  • 04-22-2007 3:04 AM

Question [=?] Sallie Mae Class Action Lawsuit

I am wondering if anyone out there knows that class action lawsuits are being filed against Sallie Mae. I have had numerous problems with Sallie Mae and frankly am fed up with Sallie Mae bullying little guys into submission. I would be very interested in filing a class action lawsuit against Sallie Mae for its innumerable violations of federal and state laws. contact me if you are in the same situation.

• 04-22-2007 6:45 PM In reply to

re: Loan Servicer Class Action Lawsuit

I'm not sure what the point of your post is. You haven't even described the conduct of which you are claiming.

If you want to file a suit, go talk to a local attorney. If the lawyer believes that there are sufficient people similarly situated to justify a class action, he/she can pursue that if he/she wishes.
  • 04-25-2007 6:07 AM In reply to

Sallie Mae's conduct is well known. Google Sallie Mae and you'll find thousands of complaints. In case, you haven't heard, Sallie Mae and many other student loan lenders has engaged in illegal kickback comps to a number of schools around the country. You may be a lawyer but then you may not be.

• 04-25-2007 10:47 AM In reply to

News [|*|] re: Loan Servicer Class Action Lawsuit

I'm sure there are "thousands of complaints" about almost every entity that engages in the collection of money.

In any case, if you want information from folks on this board, you'll have to describe YOUR issue (not make reference to issues experienced by persons other than yourself). And, since you brought up Google, I must then assume that you're as capable as anyone here of running a search to see if there are any existing class actions.

You may be a consumer but then you may not be. What the heck?!
  • 05-07-2007 6:19 AM In reply to

another CA lawyer, allegedly. If you've read MORE carefully the original posting, then you would have known what I was asking for. What the heck! Have you received a complaint from Cal Bar lately?

• 02-14-2010 4:52 PM In reply to

• ehm213
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-14-2010
    • CA
    • Posts 5

Re: Sallie Mae Class Action Lawsuit

is the class action lawsuit against sallie mae offer still available? I' am fed up with sallie mae's bullying, if i would of known that sallie mae was a predatory bussiness and that the economy was gonna be this bad by the time a graduated, i would never have taken out a loan !!!! I've been threatened to have my degree taken away, lied to and have been denied options that as far as I know i'm entitled to by law !!!! I'm even afraid to pick up the phone when i don't recognize the number or if the number shows up on the caller ID at all !!! I get calls at least 10 calls per day. I've tried to work something out with them but it all ends up in threats by sallie mae. I've been treated like a criminal, even though my degree is in Criminal Justice. I guess someone in school failed to tell me that graduating during rough ecenomic times like these is a serious crime and THAT IT'S PUNISHABLE BY HAVING YOUR LIFE RUINED !!!!! and BTW check out studentloanjustice.org and click on "victims" on the top menu bar.

• 06-04-2010 1:52 AM In reply to

• Bubble
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-04-2010
    • CA
    • Posts 2

Yeah, well I was having a good laughing looking up on the internet that they lie, are unorganized, have  terrible customer service, etc. But, I have found that they have willfully rearranged loan amounts from the previous lender in order to suit their specifications. They did not want to believe First Interstate Bank, GCC, or myself that the loan was actually taken for $1082 on one of the amounts and not $2165.00. They refused to ajust their documentation correctly to show the right numbers of the loan! Now, I find out that i've been charged this over amount for about the past 16 years, and being a small student loan, believe me it will never end. However by doing this they have violated the Truth in Lending Act, as they took numbers that were true amounts from a bank and school and deleted them, rearranged the format, it was not clear to me and thus seems fraudulent to me.

Section 112 in ther Moratgage loans and Real Propertly Securitites says by Section 112 that is a criminal liability. The intentional, mallicious, inaccuracy to disclose in truth and then forcing me to be indented to it, although not bought.  By Section 108 (e) Truth in Lending Act, Reg Z also requires 'the advertisers' to show how each rate has a scheduling format that doesn't leave me guessing did they deduct the $1082.00 or did they just rearrange the other 3 numbers they had to all equal $1518.00; the amount I had payed with the FIB transfer, and just recently realized they kept that number formalized for a few dates, but couldn't seem to move from $3765.00 either. Even though I owed $2120.00 by the time they received my loan, they just could not adjust their own principal to fit with the 'real' documented federal number dispersements.

They have failed to properly disclose the right of rescission, disclose the amount financed imporoperly, which of course is not good for finance charges, annual percentage rates, and the whole payment schedule and the security of that interest. They are actually liable for damages to restore me to before conditions when this happened and I had a 16-0 credit rating.

I am lucky though, by contract I have never signed or agreed to anything on a website (they don't even have the information up I need for my loan) and all they have to go by are what the other credit departments 'say' about  my loan. They have admitted to me they don't have any documentation for my loan past 1996, well, that's when I got my first letter from them and I was half way done with the loan. I want to know how they can keep a balance or keep up with this charade under it's loose determined administratives to find a way to lawfully administer it's practices without being indicted for for being warfermous, criminal, and in purge!

And then they claimed to the federal government or it's insurance backers that I defaulted on my loans and it needed payment for them. Well, this loan is finished. I think i'll probably end up going to arbitration, although I really would rather have a large class action to bring these vindictors to trial. But, then again, I hate the courtroom, so oh well.

But, I have all my documentation since before they began in it, and it's just a matter of me realizing they are not going to suddenly fix this when they have let it go for 16 yrs. They told me there was no address to write to a senior accountant and that I shouldn't call either. I thought it was nice that they had privy access to my account on their computer banks, but it is not up on the web anywhere for me to access (and I wouldn't by agreement and policy changes they are liable for), but, really I know that is another huge violation not letting me have access to my own records but they are all private about them, will not adjust them, talk about the mistakes that have been made or even try to resolve them. I know better than to try to speak with them.

The congresswoman here has requested some of the papers and notified the Dept. of Education to research this, but i'm not sure what that will do, it has to be impossible without the right paperwork to figure out a close to this loan. They seem to be very proud that they are not with any American agency, as they have stated to me on the last two letters, but that, they do have to notify me of federal regulations, although they themselves, I can see are very immune to them.

Please let me know if anyone wants to seriously start anything here or anywhere else. I would like the DOJ to see them to jail.

Thank You,

KR

• 06-05-2010 10:22 AM In reply to

• justup247
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-05-2010
    • AR
    • Posts 3

I'm currently awaiting the results of HEAF investigation into why two student loans totalling $6,740.00 were taken out by me in Nov. 1987 for a six month computer tech course Nov 1987 ending May of 1988. The first loan of $4,000.00 was refunded back to the lender in full in April 1988. The second loan for $2,640.00 was certified on the Lenders Request For Claim Reimbursement dated 8/16/90 that my separation from school was 3/30/88 (over 60%) completed. My question to them (HEAF) is WHY would the school refund well over half the program cost IF I had attended over 50% of the course??

BTW the school filed bankruptcy and closed in 1989, with the Fed, State both investigating them, and over 200 students threatening legal action, (google Muir Technical, San Marcos)... The GSL Promissory Note is NOT signed nor dated by anyone, the School disbursement information is not filed out or signed/dated.

I only attended this school for a very short length of time (a couple of weeks) when the instructor quit, they did NOT have a replacement, they gave me a leave of absences while they tried to get another one, they finally ask that I attend the evening classes, which I did for a week.... I was enrolled to learn to work on IBM computers, the night instructor LOVED Apple/Mac and was a programer!!! I withdrew after he came to my home and ask me out on a date! The school told me that they were going to refund the loans... which it appears one was...Its the other one for $2,640.00 that I question, since it isn't "adjusted" by the school to reflect any time I attended... which at the most would have 25% of the total program cost...

Since in 1990 there appeared to be a whole lotta investigations, sueing, etc going on in the student loan industry, especially those listed with my loan, I feel that a far more thorough investigation should be done....

I've uploaded most of my doc. onto googles free site, where all can see them. I will share the link with anyone that would like to take a look. Let me know.

I was told that it would take 4-6 weeks until HEAF makes a determination, which started 5/13/10 so I'll wait and see..After 22 years of my asking them to send me documents and finally this past year I've managed to PRY some of them from them. Which only helped to prove that I don't owe them....

I have seriously considered legal action against them, but with me being in my "golden" years LOL, I doubt I'd live long enough to see the final results...Do contact me though... we can share...

• 07-07-2010 7:32 PM In reply to

Hymmm, where to begin...  How about over the last year that I have been enrolled in an accredited college part time, Sallie Mae has not stuck to thier deferment rules.  Meaning, while enrolled at an accredited college PART TIME, I am allowed to continue my forbearence.  I've had to send 2 letters to Sallie Mae EVERY semester showing confirmation that I was IN FACT enrolled.  I'd call Sallie Mae to confirm they received the letters and they'd inform me that I was approved for the forebearence.  NOT!  I find out months later that they have been charging me late fee's and additional interest to the tune of $68,000!!!  PLUS, now my loans are in default AND they have submitted the defaults to the credit bereau.  My credit and my co-signers credit is now ruined and will take a long fight and long time to correct and fix.  I have spoken to the school and they have all my class records and times of enrollment.  The numerous times I spoke to Sallie Mae about this issue, every single time they have lied to me and said, It's a mistake and we'll correct it.  It's been ONE YEAR and all they have done is tax on more and more higher interest and late fee's.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME?????

• 07-07-2010 7:35 PM In reply to

Hymmm, where to begin...  How about over the last year that I have been enrolled in an accredited college part time, Sallie Mae has not stuck to thier deferment rules.  Meaning, while enrolled at an accredited college PART TIME, I am allowed to continue my forbearence.  I've had to send 2 letters to Sallie Mae EVERY semester showing confirmation that I was IN FACT enrolled.  I'd call Sallie Mae to confirm they received the letters and they'd inform me that I was approved for the forebearence.  NOT!  I find out months later that they have been charging me late fee's and additional interest to the tune of $68,000!!!  PLUS, now my loans are in default AND they have submitted the defaults to the credit bereau.  My credit and my co-signers credit is now ruined and will take a long fight and long time to correct and fix.  I have spoken to the school and they have all my class records and times of enrollment.  The numerous times I spoke to Sallie Mae about this issue, every single time they have lied to me and said, It's a mistake and we'll correct it.  It's been ONE YEAR and all they have done is tax on more and more higher interest and late fee's.

• 09-07-2010 10:45 AM In reply to

How can I get enter the Lawsuit?  I had TCF loans with Sallie Mae that were paid off several times and now I have Chase loans that do not belong to me.  ISAC is garnishing my income for loans that I did not take out with Sallie Mae. 

• 09-07-2010 4:47 PM In reply to

I have emailed a couple but have not gotten a response from any.  Do you know of any good attorneys that handle these kinds of lawsuits?

• 10-04-2010 1:32 PM In reply to

FYI for all frustrated customers of sallie mae.  Lawsuit for automated calls to cell phones...http://www.lieffcabraser.com/cases.php?CaseID=61

I am going to sue them.  I am an attorney and, unfortunately, a customer of sallie mae.  From Janury 2010 to June of 2010 I repeatedly asked for a forbearance due to financail hardships.  Each month I was told I was verbally approved and payments would resume in July 2010, then would get notice I was not approved.  I would call and again would be told I was verbally approved.

In june 2010 I stayed on hold for over 1 hour to get to a supervisor i was told could help me.  She informed me that I had no more months left for foebearance but could apply for income sensitive payments.  From June 2010 to Sept 2010 I went in circles with sallie mae.  They told me that they did not receive me income information so i resent it certified mail.  I again was told they did not receive it.  However I was able to advise them that I sent it certified mail, the date, time and person who received it.  Then of course they had the information.  Finally I was told in August that based on my gross income (i am self employed) i did NOT qualify for any repayment programs. In the mean time I recieved FOUR different payment books with different amounts.  When I went to pay online for Septmeber I find my loan is in forebearance and 0.00 is owed.  What?  Additionally, despite this being thier own fault due to lakc of correct information on their part, they reported late payments to the credit bureaus in June July and August 2010.  Needless to say, we can forget about trying to refinance to keep our house. 

I tried contacting the Ombudsman in DC,but they have been no help either!

Legal Violations:

1) harassing phone calls they would call the house repeatedly during the day (up to 10 times) and not leave voice mails (thanks to caller ID I could track this)

2) disclosing to receptionist at work who was calling, why and harassing her;

3) automated calls to home and cell phones see http://www.lieffcabraser.com/cases.php?CaseID=61 class action suit in process now.  I will opt out as I plan to sue on my own.

This is just a brief rambling of some of what has happened to me. I know I am not alone.  I am in Minnesota and plan to sue sallie mae on my own, but if anyone has similar violations feel free to contact me as a class action suit may be a viable option!

Page 1 of 14 (201 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community