Sallie Mae Class Action Lawsuit

Latest post Wed, Dec 17 2014 9:54 AM by pbisher37. 201 replies.
  • Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:00 AM In reply to

Re: Sallie Mae Class Action Lawsuit

looks like we are all stuck on how to communicate.  Can't really trust to put certain information out here, but then again how can we do anything.  I guess we all could start a facebook profile with our correlating display name from here if available.

• Sat, Sep 8 2012 9:16 AM In reply to

• thamilton
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 23 2012
    • MO
    • Posts 2

This thread seems to be pretty active. So hopefully more people (including lawyers) find it and we can get momentum on this. The complaints seem to be varied but the general theme is "Sallie Mae is poorly run, mis-managed, predatory and irresponsible. This is the same kind of practice that sent this country into the recession we are in now. I found this site simply by searching for "Sallie Mae class action". Other keywords that may help are. Hate Sallie Mae. Stop Sallie Mae. etc...  I have already hired a lawyer to see what recourse i have for my forged loan. When I called Sallie Mae regarding this, I finally got to talk to the Fraud department. (Mr ***) who simply started lecturing "Let me explain something to you Mr. Hamilton" blah blah blah.,,since you have waited too long to report this blah blah blah. Well answer me this "Mr ***". Why does Sallie Mae make it sooo easy for kids to change the loan amounts on your documents? It's easy to say "You should have sent them to jail from the beginning". Well no, life is a little more complicated than that. They (Sallie Mae) should at least accept some responsibility for their loose (irresponsible) handling of these student loans!

• Sat, Sep 8 2012 9:25 AM In reply to

please let us know if your attorney is interested in more clients, I am pretty certain my loan was also a complete forgery and that Sallie Mae then went on to engage in sewer service in order to win a default judgement against me.  They also then went on to alter my address after I moved 1000 miles away in order to get this rcognized in another state.  They are currently garnishing my wages to the tune of 25%

• Sun, Sep 9 2012 9:17 PM In reply to

• CCX008
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 30 2012
    • PA
    • Posts 26

FB would be a great site to start !!  By the way I remember Stef Gray which started the petition for the unemployment fee and she was succesful ..   https://twitter.com/SallieMaehem

Did anybody realize how Taxagent (which apparently must be a lawyer ??) didn't chim in anymore since this topic escalated and new stories come constantly in !!!

here is an old message for april 2012 :

CCX008:

(bytheway did SLM try to censor this site ??)

Not so far as I know. What makes you think anyone tried to censor this site?

Taxagent
    Lawyer

They did it with facebook :

http://occupystudentdebt.com/post/17150062992/hey-sallie-mae-why-are-you-all-the-sudden

Hey Sallie Mae,

Why are you all the sudden censoring your Facebook pages? What exactly are you afraid of? Perhaps that you aren't living up to your mission statement of making college accessible? Perhaps that you're bankrolling our legislators and waging war against students, families, and higher education? Why did you spend over $3 Million last year (that we know of) to lobby against our best interests?

http://aftnj.org/topics/news/higher-education/2012/rusa-president-among-arrested-in-student-debt-protest/

Days after an online protest forced Sallie Mae to drop a $50 penalty against unemployed borrowers, the private lender has apparently been scrubbing its Facebook and Twitter pages clean of consumer backlash

• Sun, Sep 9 2012 9:28 PM In reply to

• CCX008
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • PA
    • Posts 26

Ok..so now we have about 138 replies on the board and no lawyer is chiming in yet (hmmm??)

however this is something that requires lot's of time and work :

I got some ideas !!  Congressman Hansen Clark is a start :

http://hansenclarke.house.gov/       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQtTKGggotM&feature=uploademail 

and here  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/10/student-loan-forgiveness-act-2012-hansen-clarke_n_1415910.html

Then of course the lawfirms :  http://www.girardgibbs.com/case/46/sallie-mae-securities-lawsuit/  unfortunately just investors , and they are still doing good ..and this one :

http://www.jameshoyer.com/debt-collection-on-private-student-loans/ 

Petitions :  http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-sallie-mae-stop-the-unemployment-penalty

and the FB page of stef gray :  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stef-Gray/224393500980793

let's keep the fight on !!

• Sun, Sep 9 2012 9:33 PM In reply to

CCX008:
    Ok..so now we have about 138 replies on the board and no lawyer is chiming in yet (hmmm??)

Site rules prohibit attorneys from soliciting clients from the board.  If you guys are waiting for a lawyer to contact you about a suit you will still be waiting.  You are going to have to convince a firm that there is even a case.  If no firm will take it on then you have your answer. 

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Sun, Sep 9 2012 9:56 PM In reply to

• CCX008
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • PA
    • Posts 26

yeah , of course completely understand , but there are sites like  http://www.avvo.com/  which I use mostly to find my answers and sometimes even get a lead or connection ..

however SLM is a difficult shark, but it is possible , just lets wait and see !!

• Mon, Sep 10 2012 4:48 PM In reply to

• lovefishen
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 20 2004
    • CA
    • Posts 6

I don't in any way agree with yur post, first off the grants are there for a reason, which isn't about who pays for the college, which the grants are not always paid by the taxipayer, the grants are there for people who are usually suffering from some disability or problem in life, the idea is that they will get a free education for the reason they will then become rish so they can again pay taxes and even more with a college education. Otherwise these people wouldn't be able to go to college in the first place without the grants they offer, what I found at the college I attended, the asst dean lied to me stating the Cal Grant would eventually come through but due to an error on the college computer it would be delayed so if I took outa small student loan the Cal Grant would pay the loan but then I found out as she admitted she lied because she felt the same way you do in your post. Only this time the asst dean got cought and will most likely even be possibly facing jail time for things like blackmail when she told me she personally didn't believe I was disabled so she falsified the documents and lied to me and was going to have me arrested for faking my disabilities if I didn't pay the asst dean in cash. I just laughed and called the Dept of Ed and they found I was telling the truth just for the simple fact that I qualified for the Cal Grant and should have recieved it as all they needed was a updated GPA to pay the check, which now the asst dean is caught up in some very serious crimes she committed expecially now that the Dept of Ed found I'm actually very sevverely disabled, I had ot completely stop attending college altogether and didn't graduate due to what amounted to also flat out illegal discrimination that also caused me to have pulmonary embolisms on campus when I was also banned frm using an electric scooter even though I tried to explain as did my physician that I had PAD in my legs, the same asst dean lied to my teachers and got caught interfering with my accommodations at the Disabled Student Services who's manager held a special committee all nice and legal that found there was in fact interference. One teacher even threw my nursing assistant out of the class who had every right to be there and warned me in front of students I would only receive a failing grade because I mentioned I was disabled. I recieved a 3.8GPA for four semevers until the interferences began. To top it off, I started receiving actual death threats by someone who was stalking me for over 20 years, getting me fired, evicted, followign me around the country, they finally caught him after he made the death threats by phone i recorded legally with police reports, it turned out to be a deputy sheriff who admited he even poisoned eight of my trees and was responsible for calling my college and lying to the asst dean of financial aid, who then tried to actually blackmail me as she was also caught red handed discrimnating against me, interfering with my teachers, Disabiliites Counselor, and nw even attempting to blackmail me which now the feds found was true. The same deputy sheriff who stalked me was arrested on 44 other similar felonies and plead guilty to 22 and is now facing more in this county where he stalked and attacked me and interfered with the same college officials who are now in trouble criminally as well as civilly with my attorneys besides the ones with the feds who are now pressing charges against them as well. It's just sad how people can discriminate and say such things as students should have to pay for the grants they receive, they are grants, meaning to help them once agian pay taxes instead of being dependant and being on the receiving end being pay by the tax payers that can add up to a lot more, in the long run than what the grants pay. It's basic simple math any college official should know and know better than to participate in group stalking. It's seriously illegally and becomming a bigger problem all the time due to the same ignorance people have about grants.

• Wed, Sep 12 2012 11:19 PM In reply to

• lovefishen
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 20 2004
    • CA
    • Posts 6

Well, here'a  start: http://education.newamerica.net/special_report_student_loan_scandal

The asst dean at the college I attended, overheard another financial aid worker openly admitting to me the employees at the financial aid office were in fact receiving commissions and admitted I was lied to about the Cal Grant by he asst dean of financial aid who told me the Cal Grant would eventually come through that would be used to pay the student loan I took out as I gave back half, but was later billed for the entire amount. The asst dean warned me if I said a word about the illegal commissions she would destroy my education and financail aid as she was then caught admitting she did exactly that and it nearly cost me my life when I was injured on campus so severely I was given less than two hours to live after the dean of instruction interfered with the ambulance that tried to take me to the ER. The asst dean of financail aid was officially caught trying to blackmail me as the local sheriff refused to investigate. I had to speak with at least two deputies and or the sheriff who refused to investigate out of personal policy. I finally found an attorney who is also investigating the death threats I received to extort my property while the same person who called also called the college I was attending and targetted me while he was stalking me and enlisted the help of two college officials as he lied to them about my being severely disabled, the asst dean actually sent me falsified documents in the amount of over thirty five thousand dollars, she said I had to start paying in ten thousand dollars increments or she said she was going to have me arrested for faking my disabilities. The nice thing about getting police reports is one can legally record the conversations after the phone compay gave a special code to dial each time the death threats and phone calls came in by the asst dean of intruction like clockwork at the same time. Well, the idiot turned out to be a deputy sheriff who was arrested on 44 felony criminal charges and plead guilty to 22 while he will most likely now be arrested again and brought here for trial after he admitted he poisoned eight trees and sabatoged my cars, but I refused to give in and stood up to the idiot as he was recorded. I had no idea he was a cop so one can only imagine how I felt when I found out and before I found out. I was lucky in that the DRC held a special committee that found the gross inteference with my teachers and DRC counselor so the commitee changed some of the failing grades that resulted to non credit classes and made sure to document everything before resigning but she is now a great witness. Good things look like they are happening now that the lawyer is investigating as is the Inspector General. Here is a link to the student loan commissions information that really did occur as I'm the first to report it to the IRS and Dept of ED. : )

http://education.newamerica.net/special_report_student_loan_scandal

I'd say there are a few criminals this week who are totally BUSTED!!!!! : ) Now lets see if any attorneys take an interest!!! : )

• Tue, Sep 25 2012 11:24 PM In reply to

Hi, I just mailed Sallie Mae a 13 page certified letter today about the predatory lending practices and forced private loan default without any bills/notification of the account becoming due for payment. I found out about Sallie Mae's charge/off (default) when viewing my credit report. I am very interested in filing a suit against Sallie Mae for its fradulent and deceptive practices, failure to disclose pertinent information to young unsuspecting college students and failure to adhere to 

1)Section 605(e) of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (15 U.S.C. § 1681(g))

2)Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act of 2003 SEC. 314(a),(b), & (e) and

3)Section 809 of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Validation of debts [15 USC 1692g]

• Wed, Sep 26 2012 8:19 AM In reply to

Has anyone even contacted an attorney or even know what kind of attorney should to be contacted about the possibility of a class action lawsuit?  Has anyone contacted their State's Attorney General?

• Wed, Sep 26 2012 8:41 AM In reply to

Sweethogfan:
    Has anyone even contacted an attorney or even know what kind of attorney should to be contacted about the possibility of a class action lawsuit?

There are many, many class action firms out there willing to take on cases that they beileve have merit.  They continously advertise for potential clients.  I highly suspect the reason they aren't pursuing this is becasue the case(s) have no merit.  You borrowed the money, asked no questions, blindly signed the agreement, then couldn't or wouldn't pay it back.  Once defaulted, everyone is stunned how quickly fees, interest, and costs add up and balloon a loan to far more than it ever was.  

Sweethogfan:
    Has anyone contacted their State's Attorney General?

As public as this debate is if it had merit for an AG one would have stepped up by now to investigage if they believed there was criminal conduct.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:10 AM In reply to

In my case, I DID NOT borrow the money that Sallie Mae is claiming I am responsible for.  In my situation, Sallie Mae is claiming that I am responsible for PARENT LOANS in which I did not take.  I was the student, not the responsible parents taking out the loans.  I did not sign ANY documents pertaining to the loans, only my student infomation was used\needed for the parentss to take out a parent loan per their Tuition Answer program nor was the loan made disburseable to me.

• Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:14 AM In reply to

Not to mention, Sallie Mae will not provide me with any infomation on the parent loans as I have requested information\documents on several occasions by phone, online, and certified mail.

• Wed, Sep 26 2012 10:25 AM In reply to

• CCX008
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • PA
    • Posts 26

Funny that this site is called lawyer.com but wouldn't admit that SLM has indeed produced many criminal conducts ..

Bytheway last lawsuit look at that :

http://www.lexisnexis.com/community/litigationresourcecenter/blogs/litigationblog/archive/2012/09/18/sallie-mae-reaches-24-million-settlement-in-telephone-debt-collection-class-action.aspx

Sallie Mae Reaches $24 Million Settlement In Telephone Debt Collection Class Action
    SEATTLE - (Mealey's) Student loan borrowers and a subsidiary of SLM Corp. on Sept. 17 agreed to settle claims that the subsidiary violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) by making a number of non-emergency autodialed calls and/or automated text messages to the borrowers' cellular telephones in an attempt to collect on outstanding student loan debt, according to documents filed in a Washington federal court (Mark A. Arthur, et al. v. Sallie Mae Inc., No. 10-0198, W.D. Wash.).

(Judgment available. Document #88-120924-061X.)

The borrowers are represented by Beth E. Terrell, Michael D. Daudt and Marc C. Cote of Terrell Marshall Daudt & Willie in Seattle; Jonathan D. Selbin and Alison Stocking of Lieff, Cabraser, Heimann & Bernstein in New York; Daniel M. Hutchinson of Lieff Cabraser in San Francisco; David P. Meyer and Mathew R. Wilson of David P. Meyer & Associates Co. in Columbus, Ohio; Joshua Swigart, Robert L. Hyde and David C. Leimbach of Hyde & Swigart in San Diego; Douglas J. Campion of San Diego; and Abbas Kaserounian of Kaserounian Law Group in Santa Ana, Calif.

Being that said SLM is an extremly big powerful corporation, it's not easy to find somebody willing to take the fight , specially if it's only one individual..SLM Fannie Mae they are all sleeping together ..

Page 10 of 14 (202 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last » | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community