Sallie Mae Class Action Lawsuit

Latest post 07-14-2014 8:08 PM by T.Hooper. 187 replies.
  • 01-14-2013 8:14 AM In reply to

• Mageary
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-14-2013
    • NY
    • Posts 3

Re: Sallie Mae Class Action Lawsuit

My brother is going through the same thing.

• 01-14-2013 9:32 AM In reply to

What type of situation is your brother going through?  This thread has many different  situations through out it.

• 01-31-2013 6:25 PM In reply to

• Mageary
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-14-2013
    • NY
    • Posts 3

He took out a Loan for Medical School and didnot finish because he miss the test by 2 pts. He is now employed by Fedex. The loans went into repay about a couple of months and the loan double. They refuse to do an income contigency payment pay with him. I try call to see if I can start repaying the 22,000 I consigner and they basic said by the time I finish I would have paid Sallie mae 76,000. When I calculate the 22,000 with interest for 10 they gain about 8,000 interest which seems alot screwy to me. I call them and told them send every in writing and they said no and hung up the phone.

• 02-15-2013 8:22 PM In reply to

• User7236
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-16-2013
    • GA
    • Posts 1

Hello, I am so glad that I found someone else that has the same problem. I have a parent that took out a sallie Mae loan while I was in college. I did not sign as a consigner on the loan nor did I receive any money from it. However, since i was the student, it is on my credit report as a joint account and has affected my credit score. Were you able to find a class action lawsuit related to this issue?

• 02-20-2013 11:39 AM In reply to

Hello. Thank you for your time. This is regarding an on-going disability application issue with Sallie Mae. Back in the year 2005, I began have physical issues with my right arm as a waitress. I enrolled in Cornish College of the Arts and was accepted to begin that year. My plan was to work through college as a waitress. I didn't know I would have to quit my job in September 2005 because of physical limitations and my Dr. didn't know what was happening. So my Dad stepped in allowing me to live with him without the stress of making rent. I thought I could get through college living with my Dad and collecting unemployment. In 2006, my physical therapy office suggested I open an Labor and Industries claim and get help for what was going on because it was seriously getting worse-hence occupational disease. Over the duration of the years, my right thoracic area began to get worse and worse and wasn't diagnosed until 2008 as an Occupational Disease called Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Before the diagnosis, I had to leave Cornish College of the Arts in 2007 because there was talk about surgery and possible recovery. I contacted Sallie Mae (I borrowed from them for two years 2005-2006 to help cover the part of tuition I couldn't afford) to talk about disability options (I wasn't considered permanently disabled yet but there was talk amongst my doctors) and if they would freeze the interest. They said no and of course it left me in tears. I borrowed $10,000 from them for college years 2005 & 2006. Now because of interest I now owe around $17,000. I had my doctor submit an application to Sallie Mae. He did his best to exact dates but he was off on a couple so I sent Sallie Mae the correct proof with the dates. I filed a complaint last year with CFPB which caught their attention and Minnesota Life picked up my file to look at (Sallie Mae's insurance company) and collect any further information regarding my years of treatment. I got a letter today from an unqualified customer advocate (not from Minnesota Life) telling me that they consider me disabled as of 2005 even though I wasn't diagnosed and hadn't had surgery until 2008. I have what is called an Occupational Disease and in no way did I anticipate it getting worse. I don't have work right now and I live off of my husband's church wages which is still considered in the poverty level. The U.S. Department of Education has discharged all of my student loans because of the disability application without a struggle. I am considering seeking legal help and am wondering who to turn to. Sallie Mae won't adjust payments (I tried that too and they said no), discharge my loan based on facts regarding disability nor will work with me on anything else to rectify the debt. I keep hitting a brick wall with them and my doctor did everything he could do. I am basically pleading for help because I don't know who else to turn to before I seek legal help. I am hoping you can mediate this and help me find a solution without my credit going bad because of Sallie Mae. I believe they have been dragging their feet with my application and haven't fully read or thought this through. I could be wrong but I haven't been treated with respect from Sallie Mae no matter how kind I can be or even if I put my foot down.

• 02-20-2013 11:42 AM In reply to

This is a statement I recently submitted to CFPB so please do not think I am asking you for legal counsel if you are not an advisor.  I thought it important to know some of the details and struggles with Sallie Mae. I've only touched on the icing. I have had a long arduous struggle with them for years now trying to work something out. 

• 02-25-2013 11:30 AM In reply to

• Clawson
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-25-2013
    • WV
    • Posts 1

I just have a quick question. I applied for loans through Sallie Mae in 2006 and was approved for 2 student loans.  One was for $2,000.00 and the other was for $1313.00, now with the interest and all I owe over $4300.00 . I never took the classes and decided to withdraw. I am now getting letters from Sallie Mae stating they are going to either take my Federal Income Taxes or garnish my wages. So I logged into my Sallie Mae account and was looking at my loan details and the loan details said that the loan disbursement date was 08/08/2006 for both loans and my last day I was registered for class was 08/04/2006, So Friday I decided to call University Of Phoenix( the school I planned on attending). They have no record of me ever being a student there. Now it is Monday and I call Sallie Mae back, They are still saying I owe this money, and I argued with them for over a hour on the phone, the lady I was talking to said they contacted the school and verified that I was never a student there or never attended., So I asked her to shut down my Sallie Mae account and take this negative account of my credit report. She told me she could not do that and all she could advise me to do was keep paying on these loans.  So my question to you is where do I go from here?

• 02-25-2013 11:39 AM In reply to

Clawson:
    So my question to you is where do I go from here?

Back to the school to the Financial Aid Office.  The Registrar's Office likely has no record of you because you withdrew from classes.  Financial Aid may be a whole different story.  Did the school receive the money from SM?  If so, did you withdraw before the required date in order to receive a full refund?  Many students incorrectly believe that all they have to do is withdraw and all the tuition is waived.  That is true to a specific date set by each institution.  If you did not withdraw by the specified date you owe the tuition even if you never attended one class.

If any of the money was refunded to you because you borrowed more than the tuition then that too must still be repaid. 

However, check what you signed with the school.  This "school" is notorious for billing fraud and requiring payment regardless of classes attended.  If you agreed you would pay for the first semester even if you didn't attend then you are out of luck and owe the money.  However, if there is no such agreement or contract and the school was paid when you properly withdrew then they need to straighten this out with SM and return the money.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• 02-25-2013 4:17 PM In reply to

ClydesMom:
    This "school" is notorious for billing fraud and requiring payment regardless of classes attended. 

I'd be careful about statements accusing the school of fraud. That may be defamatory, and even if you could prove the statement was true, you could find yourself having to defend a costly lawsuit.

• 04-02-2013 6:23 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,014

MisaMouse9.

Looks like you have a private student loan or loans. Otherwise, it /they would have been discharged with your Federally insured ones.

Unfortunately, private students loans are not eligible for discharge because of disability. What happened with your Federally insured loans is that the Government paid off the lender(s) as it, in effect, insured those loans in the event the borrower qualified as being disabled and unable to pay them back for that reason.

There is no comparable Government insurance on private student loans.

• 11-04-2013 4:50 PM In reply to

Since you seem to have all of the answers, can you point me to a lawyer who has the courage to sue SallieMae?  The only reason they are allowed to do some of the illegal things they do is because lobbyists paid politicians not to make those things illegal for salliemae to do.  The rest of the illegal activities are at, what they believe to be, such low costs that nobody will bother to sue (and nobody sues, and SallieMae keeps getting richer).  

Anyway, how would one go about suing this company of thieves for harrassment, lying to customers, refusing to resolve problems, etc?... oh, also, I'd like to explore the option of having not been a sophistocated party when I engaged into predatory, sophistocated contracts with a company of thieves that's backed by a government of thieves... Know where I can find a lawyer with the balls to look into some of those things?

• 11-04-2013 10:11 PM In reply to

• CCX008
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-30-2012
    • PA
    • Posts 26

well well, that thing was dormant for a while...anyway it's all a game and they get sued from time to time ...they are always prepared and it's routine for them...

Last lawsuit was 24Million (Arthur v. Sallie Mae/TCPA)  one year ago for robocalls, it wont hurt them .. It's a game , just a game..  http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=66361bec-ccf5-48f7-b59c-6d953833815d

Hopefully we still have some fighters out there ...like Alan Collinge  http://studentloanjustice.org/

All I can say :   Keep hope alive !!

• 11-19-2013 5:22 PM In reply to

Sallie Mae is such a scam, I never selected them as my loan company.  I had all my loans through another lender.  The loans were sold to Direct Loans where I never had a problem. 

Sallie Mae buys the loan and doesn't bother to tell me.  I never received calls because I had returned to school and in "student status".  I guess it was just luck I didn't have my credit screwed up due to their poot management.  I had sent payments while in school because I was getting tuition reimbursement from my job.  Those payments (almost $3,000) were lost in limbo.  Sallie Mae didn't want to talk to Direct Loans and Direct Loans sent me evidence they forwarded the money to Sallie Mae.  My bank tried calling Sallie Mae and they refused to cooperate in straightening out the problem claiming "confidentiality of my information".  When I called on three-way with the bank on the line authorizing the communication, they claimed they had no record of receiving the money.  It took threat of a law suit for them to find the money (6 months down the road) and credit the interest accrued as a result of their incompetence.

All went well until July 3, 2013 when their robocallers and automated email system started demanding payment of $200 by July 21.  I asked why they were asking for payment when I was still a full time student (just graduated last week) and why they were renegging on the 6 month grace period after graduation.  This only resulted in a barrage of emails and phone calls from their automated systems from 8AM until 9PM throughout the July 4 holidays.  I considered giving Sallie Mae my "spam" voicemail box that does not actually ring my phone.  

I finally reach Sallie Mae on July 8 and tell them I am a full time student and only work part time earning about $17,000 this year.  I asked why they were hounding me for payment when I am still a student.  They falsely claimed my school screwed up paperwork.  The school faxed them a document proving that I was graduating November 15 and still a full time student and my last loan disbursement in March 2013 would cover all expenses.  Sallie Mae then gave me a 30 day forbearance (not student status) and started hounding me again the first of August.  Round 2 of giving them documentation.

During both calls, I asked about Income Based Repayment options and was told I was "too old" to apply.  They claimed my loans were ineligible with no other explanation.  I did some research and talked to a non profit who encouraged me to apply, giving me the link to the applications on the FAFSA website.  I applied, attached paycheck stubs and was again denied in September.  The guy who denied the claim in September finally corrected my graduation date of November 15.  But that didn't stop them from wanting payment November 21.  I got a 6 day grace period and still have no idea why.

To make matters worse, I contacted the Ombudsman because my job laid me off (thank you Obamacare) and unemployment turned me down for a "monetary review".  It looks like the employer is challenging the benefits.  So now I have no income and had to take a high interest loan to make my student loan payment and cross my fingers that I can find another job quick.

The Ombudsman was not very easy to deal with this time.  I asked for an email to send my documents and everything they needed.  They said I could not send it by email, I had to fax it.  This was 29 pages of documents proving I was employed, last years income, and my recent layoff with the unemployment documents denying me benefits.  I went to the unemployment office and they said I could not use their fax for the Sallie Mae documents, they would only fax a resume and cover letter for job search activities.  I tried to find a friend who would help, but they all were nervous to send a personal fax that big and I don't blame them.  I went to Staples and they quoted me $55.96 to send it.  I said to ***heck with that and was going to put it in the mail.  I called the Ombudsman and told her if I had $55 to spend on a fax, I wouldn't be seeking her assistance getting me on a payment plan that makes sense.  She suddenly had email for me to send the documents.  Funny how that is.

To top all of this nightmare off, Sallie Mae disbursed a loan after I completed my classes to increase the debt by $10K.  No one is able to provide an accounting of where this money went.   

This company called Student Loan Releif,org said they could waive my payments for 12 months because I am unemployed with no income.  At the end of 12 months, they would review my annual income and adjust the payment to be consistent with IBR.  Does anyone know anything about these lenders?  Are they still Sallie Mae?  Is their fee of $359 to get me on a program unreasonable.  

The $359 program seems to be the only option other than default and I don't want to do that.

• 05-01-2014 4:05 PM In reply to

• A_LIV
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-24-2014
    • MN
    • Posts 1

rfisheresq :

I am not sure if you are pursuing a lawsuit against Sallie Mae still, but I have information that might help and I live in Minnesota. I have recorded and documented the last 38 phone calls I have had with Sallie Mae, and have solid proof that they have been straight up lieing to me about my account and pushing me all over to different departments avoiding my inquiries. I was given a "research ticket number" and have proof of them addmitting that they have recieved faxes I have sent, and have other calls denying and contradicting the same statements. I'm not sure what this all amounts to, but they are messing up all over the place. Let me know if you have a case, I might and would like help.

• 05-22-2014 11:26 PM In reply to

• CCX008
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-30-2012
    • PA
    • Posts 26

looks like the thread didn't completely died down...reminds me of an old song :  "it's not over between you and me"..

let's play again :

Federal regulators just ordered Sallie Mae to pay $97 million in penalties plus restitution for violating multiple laws, including overcharging 93 percent of active duty servicemembers and mishandling borrowers' payments to maximize late fees and penalties.

Despite mounting evidence showing how Sallie Mae has been ripping off federal student loan borrowers for years, it's still possible the Department of Education will renew its multimillion-dollar contract with the shady company next month.

Secretary of Education Arne Duncan needs to hear from as many of us as possible that it's unacceptable for the Department of Education to be in business with a company taking advantage of taxpayers, students, members of the military and minority and low-income borrowers.

The current contract actually stipulates that violating federal law is grounds for termination, but we know the agency won't act without massive public pressure. So far, Secretary Duncan has only instructed his department to review "what appropriate actions, if any" should be taken against Sallie Mae. Seriously?

Tell Secretary Duncan there's just one appropriate action to take: Cancel the contract with Sallie Mae!

http://tinyurl.com/nvmfest

Page 12 of 13 (188 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community