Sallie Mae Class Action Lawsuit

Latest post 10-28-2014 11:25 AM by Alesin. 200 replies.
  • 10-05-2010 4:06 AM In reply to

• Bubble
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-04-2010
    • CA
    • Posts 2

re: Loan Servicer Class Action Lawsuit

Hi! Can you look up your forebarence period on www.ed.gov or the NSLDS site or www.loansolutions.org.

It usually gave them in accompany to loan stats, grants and other info. Maybe you can get the info from the school you attended? I hope so, but you know you are still liable for the interest. At least the late fees hopefully can be reversed. Hey, does anyone know what kind of computer program they use to keep track of our loan records? It's not working, goodness, geeze!

• 10-24-2010 3:09 AM In reply to

Re: Sallie Mae Class Action Lawsuit

I have recieved a claim form in the mail regarding this suit. My problem with sallie mae is I have become disabled due to many surgeries; my doc filled out the necessary paper work for me on Total and Permanant Disability that is required by sallie mae in order to put your loans in a conditional discharge. I have had everything from a broken neck to my umibica attached to my back during a hysterectomy. Now they have found out that my brain has been sitting in my neck since 2004, or before and they are just now telling me. Anyhow, my doc has filled out everything they have asked, and I am still getting bills; and they are acting like they never received the paper work, when I sent it certified and they signed stating they recieved it. I have called numerous times, and nobody seems to know what they are doing, and they keep saying send it in again. Like my sergeon has time to do these all the time. I have called the guarantor, and was told the same thing. I am finally fed up, since my doc filled these papers out five months ago; and still no acknowledgement of recieving them, just the bills. This week I will find an attorney who can get this thing settled. In the meantime, it is ruining my credit, to no fault of my own. I have done everything they have asked. I also need to know if anyone here knows any attorneys who deal with corrupt judges in the disability department. My judge in my case just so happens to play text twist with my medical records, writing the opposite of what my records state. My attorney even used it in my appeal. Four docs or more are behing me in thinking I should have recieved my disability long ago. My attorney seems not to say much about what the judge did, even though it is loud and clear in black and white and his decision states denial because he wrote the exact opposite of what my doctors actually wrote. Plus, he was a judge here in town, and everyone knows usually lawyers will not oppose a judge even if the proof is in black and white and without a reasonable doubt. Now my case is in the hands of an appeals court judge who I am praying is much more honest than the one here in town on my case. Unethical is an understatement. Can anything be done once you have solid proof that this judge totally manipulated my case? And as far as sallie mae, this suit about calling people's cell phones, what about a case like mine where my credit is being ruined because of their lack of either unorganization, or just pretending it was not sent in when I have proof they recieved it? Any advice from anyone much appreciated. And to you, good luck and no, you are not alone.

• 10-27-2010 12:59 PM In reply to

Sallie Mae Fraud

Having made all of my loan payments on time for the past 3+ years, I was recently shocked to learn that I am ineligible to receive the bonus loan discount.  Sallie Mae claims I changed my preference to receive correspondence through regular mail instead of email back in Jun-10 (approx. 3 months before I would qualify for the loan balance reduction), ruling me ineligible.  This is ridiculous...I prefer to receive correspondence through email and why would I change my preference right before I am eligible for a balance reduction in excess of $1,000?  Anyone have a similar story?

Apparently very few people ever qualify for the loan balance reduction.  Well I was one of the few that made every payment on time and should receive the reduction!  SallieMae has refused to reinstate.  Can someone help me with this?

In addition to several phone calls during the past month, I faxed a written request to Sallie Mae to reinstate the bonus which has been denied.  I think my best course of action is small claims court?  Anyone know who at Sallie Mae I address a small claims lawsuit (name, address, etc.)?

• 11-02-2010 11:40 AM In reply to

• justup247
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-05-2010
    • AR
    • Posts 3

Since I first posted the above, I have received some what of an education... the number I used for HEAF was actually Depart. of Ed. they bought out HEAF years ago at 100% instead of 80%-90% HEAF was entitled to.

This has become so convoluted with fraud that I have put up a website and uploaded over 40 documents that I have since received from Sallie Mae and Depart. of Ed. the newest ones prove that I did NOT attend over 60% as stated by Sallie Mae (Separation date: March 30, 1988) because the Claim Package computer readout clearly shows that I had two grace periods of Feb 1, 1988 and March 1, 1988.... so how could I have two grace periods before my LDA?  The readout also shows my first delinguent payment as 7/15/88 (5-17 days)... which puts my LDA in Dec. 1987, just as I have claimed. There is far more that I just discovered, since they would NOT give me any documentation until this past year and most of it in the past few months.   http://avsa.hypermart.net/Muir/index.shtml  Check it out, compare what they did to me to what is happening to you!

• 12-03-2010 6:44 PM In reply to

• BellaF
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-03-2010
    • WA
    • Posts 1

Please contact me. Having same problems. Want to send a certified letter. Do you have a real person and address to send? Harassment is abominable and illegal! Thanks

• 12-04-2010 2:09 AM In reply to

• justup247
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-05-2010
    • AR
    • Posts 3

I have about 70 links, pages, etc on my website now, but now that you mention it, I do NOT believe that I have ever gotten the mailing address of Salie Mae...Now Depart. of Ed, I have LOTS of address's for them... LOL

http://avsa.hypermart.net/Muir/updates.shtml

My website has my contact info. on the top menu under the Home tab, feel free to use it. I'm not an attorney, but I can show you what I have been doing...Whether it works for you is unpredictable.

Judy

• 12-04-2010 2:12 PM In reply to

• willy56
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-04-2010
    • MA
    • Posts 2

If you think they owe you money, file a small calims suit and name the president of the company, Al Lord and any other names of SM functionaries with whom you have dealt.  

• 12-30-2010 3:29 PM In reply to

I could have written your email word for word.  I have been going through the entire thing, re faxing-having them "lose" it only to "find it" when I provide fax confirmation, different payment books- received within days of each other- now I apparently am "deliquent" 14 days even though I have been given no clear answer as to when my payments or even how much my payments are supposed to be.  I live in Minnesota, not a lawyer but in court a lot with my job so I have learned to document document document and save everything.  If you get something going I would definitly love to know about it.Good Luck I keep praying every day for the answer to dealing with Sallie Mae will present itself.

• 12-31-2010 6:34 PM In reply to

• GoJenny
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-31-2010
    • CA
    • Posts 9

When you changed your preference to email - you probably checked a box approving new terms and conditions. I bet that's where they got you on the bonus thing.

• 01-02-2011 12:24 PM In reply to

I have had and still have my troubles with Sallie Mae. Problem is, getting ahold of a lawyer who knows something about them is another issue. I have had 52 surgeries in which my docs say I will never work again. My doctors filled out Total and Permanant Disability Paperwork and has been submitted and sent certified with a lovely return card stating they recieved it; by the post office. They have refused to acknowledge it even though it was sent back in July 10. I have sent it twice, and in the meantime no one up there claims they have it and does not know what to do if they did. well, we DO know they recieved it for a fact from the post office. My docs do not have time to write these papers over and over. In the meantime, it ruins my credit until they get if situated. I am ready to sue, my doc don't blame me, but finding a lawyer who knows much about it is another subject. There is one lawyer suing sallie mae for discriminations against minorities, for not granting loans. If anyone does know of a decent lawyer on the subject please let me know.

• 01-28-2011 6:53 AM In reply to

I'm in the same boat

In 2002 My son wanted to attend Chubb Institute in New York.  When applying for financial aid we were told that before he could be considered for any other aid I had to apply for a parents loan.  Given that I was only making 250 a week and had just had an auto repossessed I told the financial aid office I was certain I would be denied.  I filled out the application and was never told I had been granted a loan for over 13,000 so we thought that with his own federal loan they had found grants for him.

In February 2004 a lawsuit was filed against me in NY By Sallie Mae.  They claim to have given service to someone they state was a "co-tenant" named Jorge Torres.  At no time have I ever lived with anyone by that name.  The owner of the house I lived in is Juanita And Julio Torres who are my aunt and uncle.  They have since filed in Florida to recognize  this judgment and have stated they sent me a copy at 21609 Sally St SE Palm Bay Fl.  My address is 1069.  They then sent a summons for a deposition to 31069 Sally st.  The process server located me due to her ability to figure out that there is no address as stated on her paperwork. During the deposition their attorney asked me if my address was 21069 Sally St and I said no.  He then asked me what it was and I provided him with the correct address  Last month they filed for a garnishment with no notice to me whatsoever.   I asked their attorney for a copy of the promissory note they claim I signed, it took him in excess of 30 days to get it to me and only after I notified him that he failed to do so and while the signature is close it does not appear to be mine. The copy of his letter prefacing the copy of a promissory note shows he used the address he knew to be invalid.  This leads me to believe he deliberately did so use a fake address in order to prevent me from any self defense  Additionally I had asked 2 other collection agencies for this beginning in 2008 and their current attorney has chosen to NOT send me a copy of all pertinent court documents filed here in Florida including the garnishment at to my correct address and in all likelihood has told the court he has while using an address he knows is false in order to once again deprive me of my rights

While I am filing in Florida to have the garnishment removed I must also file in NY to have this vacated.  If Sallie Mae and their representative engages in this type of fraud here in Florida it's not much of a stretch to conclude they engaged in sewer service in NY and have probably done so to many others

• 02-14-2011 9:50 AM In reply to

• SLvictim
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-14-2011
    • MN
    • Posts 2

I would like to participate in a lawsuit against Sallie Mae. I was required back in 1995 to consolidate my student loan of $2000 with my then husbands of $13000. They would not consolidate his loans without mine. Since then we have divorced. I can show over $20,000 in payments through the years and they say we now owe $32000? They can not show me any payment history prior to 2007 and can only send me an unreadable copy of the original agreement. HELP! We have no consumer protection laws for student loans that they are required to follow. Perhaps that is why I can find no successful lawsuits? Obviously, there is a lot more details that I can make available. I am also in Minnesota and am looking for other people in the same situation. Have you moved forward on a lawsuit? Do you have enough support? How can I join?

• 02-15-2011 9:53 AM In reply to

• jfinkc
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2011
    • KS
    • Posts 1

I would love to join in on your lawsuit against Sallie Mae.

I was on medical leave from June 2008 and requested a forebearance, they said my request was never received. I then lost my job in October 2008 and requested a forebearance. Again they said my request was not received. The request for forebearance was both mailed and faxed. I then started received public assistance, which of course automatically qualifies me for a forebearance. They waited about 9 months then sent me documentation stating I was in default. Ironically, I had just started working again. After talking to numerous customer service representative and several supervisors, they started garnishing my paycheck. Because of their shady business practices that resulted in a defaulted loan, I am unable to go to school to finish my bachelor's degree.

• 02-16-2011 3:09 PM In reply to

You won't like my answer, but here it is...

You were not forced, they wouldn't consolidate his without yours and you decided that his consolidation was more important than looking out for your own interests.  Joint consolidation (no longer an option, by the way) meant you became responsible not only for your $2000 in loans but his $13,000 too.

Did he make payments all those years?  did you?  On time?  late?

• 03-04-2011 2:09 PM In reply to

• denimac
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-04-2011
    • AZ
    • Posts 13

rfisheresq...

I too am terribly frustrated by Sallie Mae's lack of accuarcy and timeliness.  I would like to think there is something we can do about this, but I am not an attorney and have no idea what the next step might be...

Background:

• My original loans amounted to apprx 50K (AA, BA & MA). 
    • Divorce forced me into chpt 13 and my loans were deferred during the chpt 13 repayment period. 
    • Post chpt 13; After compounding interest, I am now in debt to SM to the tune of 101k!  I began making income sensitive payments (which does not even cover the now outrageous amount of owed).  Each year I must reapply for this payment plan. 
    • Middle to the end of last year, prior to the current plans expiration, I made countless calls to SM requesting the income-sensitive repayment form---it never arrived.  On each call I had them confirm my mailing address, they had the correct one.
    • Next I sent them a certified letter requesting the form and included a self-addressed/stamped envelope.  I explained that they must have some error in their records and made it very clear what my address & ph number were---they signed for it but still, no form.
    • In Nov 2010, I received a phone call from a stranger who lives in a town I lived in 10 years ago.  SM had written to this anonymous person in their attempt to "find me".  This stranger had my phone number, mailing address and acct number (why didn't SM?)!!!
    • Finally I located a ph# for the ombudsman's office.  I sent him a copy of the certified letter.  He sent me the income-sensitive repayment form.  It arrived in Jan, about the same time I was laid off making the form now meaningless.
    • I immediately called the ombudsman to ask what my next step was--never received a return call.
    • And just FYI...As you know, they email you a link to your acct info, no actual info is in the email.  Every time I tried to login it would not recognize my credentials and countless attempts to resolve this problem were fruitless.  I was never able to get into the site to retrieve the forms on my own so I insist on USPS delivery.  
    • Now I am waiting on an "unemployment deferment form" which I was told would take up to 10 biz days to arrive, that was on Wed, Feb 23.  Beginning Friday the 25th I began receiving calls wanting me to make a payment.  I have received 5 and more calls each weekday since the 23rd and still have not received the unemployment deferment form.  It's now been 8 biz days since it was reportedly mailed.
    Complaints:
    • I am not able to work in the field I obtained my MA in and will likely never earn enough to pay them $1000/mo. Not their problem I know, but it does make this more difficult.
    • I no longer live where I lived 10 years ago because of domestic violence.  I need to stay far away from there and nearly underground as to not live in fear of my ex.  SM sending a letter to some anonymous person in that city (with my contact info!) has possibly put me at risk, and I suspect was illegal.
    • Each time they do not send the requested form, the loan goes into default, accrues more fees and gobbles up limited months of deferment to bring the loan "current" (what a joke).
    • They are obviously not keeping accurate records or they would have known where/how to reach me.
    • Each time I speak with someone by ph I get a different story (that is if I can understand them).  The only thing that is consistant is "how would you like to take care of your payment today?".
    • I am now 51 and fear that when it comes time to collect my social security it will be garnished and I won't be able to afford even the bare necessities at an age when I can no longer work.
    • I have tried, in good faith, for years to properly mange this loan and all I have gotten for my troubles has been what feels like abuse.
    How can they get away with loan-sharking...isn't that suppose to be illegal?
    If you have any ideas, or see any cause for legal action in the above items, I'd like to discuss.

Page 2 of 14 (201 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community