Burglary Claim

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 07-24-2007 10:19 PM by I Will Survive. 5 replies.
  • 07-23-2007 11:58 AM

Question [=?] Burglary Claim

My home was burglarized after a flood. I was there on a daily basis for cleanup and always made sure the doors and windows were locked. The insurance company and restoration company seem to be focused on a document that the restoration company had me sign about removing valuables. My take is that I always secured my home, but I think the insurance company wants to take the stand that ALL valuables should have been removed. What do you think about all of this? Thanks...
  • 07-23-2007 12:39 PM In reply to

Question [=?] One more question...

I was asked what I did for a living. What bearing does that have on my claim?
  • 07-23-2007 4:27 PM In reply to

re: Burglary Claim

"The insurance company and restoration company seem to be focused on a document that the restoration company had me sign about removing valuables. My take is that I always secured my home, but I think the insurance company wants to take the stand that ALL valuables should have been removed. What do you think about all of this?"

The problem I have with that paragraph is that you use phrases like "seem to be focused" and "I think the insurance company".

You're going to have to relate exactly (word for word) what the insurance adjuster is telling you or writing to you about any of that stuff and why.

None of that paragraph makes a bit of difference until and unless the insurance adjuster says, "Mr Survive, we are not paying for ABC because of XYZ"

It that hasn't happened yet, then I don't have a clue as to what your issues are unless you explain them.

"I was asked what I did for a living. What bearing does that have on my claim?"

I have no idea. That's something you should have asked the adjuster. Preferably immediately after the question was asked. Did you?

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 07-23-2007 8:33 PM In reply to

Question [=?] re: Burglary Claim

The insurance company has not said that they will not pay for anything. The insurance company opened a claim after the burglary. Then, they took a recorded statement from me, and my adjuster told me that an investigator would probably be contacting me at some point for the burglary claim. An investigator called me today, and basically, the same questions were asked as before. The conversation today was short and not as lengthy as the recorded statement I gave. The investigator told me that he had what he needed in order to wrap this up. So, I think that everything is fine. I also filed a police report when the burglary happened. I just wanted your thoughts as to why the insurance company might be asking me about the document I signed with the restoration company and valuables. To me, it doesn't seem like it would matter because the house was secured and someone broke in and took some items. I'm not sure how that would fit in with the restoration company and the document I signed with them--I still had goods in the house, it was still my residence, even though it was not inhabitable, and I locked my house and secured everything to the best of my ability.

No, I didn't ask the adjuster or the investigator why they wanted to know my occupation; I just answered the question. Is that a standard question? It occured to me after the conversation that my occupation didn't have any bearing on the claim.
  • 07-24-2007 5:04 PM In reply to

re: Burglary Claim

Please don't take this personally because the insurance company is not picking on you.

Burglary claims are typically treated more suspiciously by the insurance industry than other types of damage claims and one part of the investigation is to rule out possible involvement by the insured.

Fire claims are similar in that it's often necessary to determine if the owner had financial motive to burn his own property down.

With most claims that's gotten out of the way rather quickly with a recorded statement with personal questions. Most of the time there are no red flags or alarm bells and the adjuster turns his attention to settling the claim.

That sounds like what's happening with your claim.

With regard to that document with the restoration company I have no way of knowing, but it's possible that your adjuster was checking out possible subrogation against the restoration company or maybe something else. We are trained to consider the "what ifs" on every claim and then act on them or discard them but we don't ignore them.

As for your occupation I probably would have asked the same question or more especially since there was a history of claims.

There's nothing terrible about being investigated. Insurance companies do that all the time. More often than not it's just routine and nothing comes of it regardless of how strange something might seem to the policyholder.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 07-24-2007 10:19 PM In reply to

Ok [+0+] Thank you, Adjuster Jack

I feel so much better after reading your response. Thank you for explaining things to me from an adjuster's perspective. I think everything is fine. The investigator apologized to me before we began our conversation and told me that some of the questions he was going to ask were questions I had already been asked. That made me realize that he had probably listened to my recorded statement that I gave. I answered his questions truthfully and to the best of my knowledge. I did what I could to secure my property, but I think it was wrong of the restoration company to leave a good amount of my stuff in the yard. I didn't share that part with you...the restoration company tossed a good portion of the things that were in the garage out in the yard and told me they would be back the next day to clean up. Well, they never came back the next day, or the next. Several days passed while all of this stuff was in the yard. To me, that's like advertising that the home was being cleared out and that's when the burglary happened. I'm sure that people could tell that there were some good items in the yard, even if they were damaged, and maybe even with flashlights could see that items were still in the home. So, someone broke in and took some of the good things that were left. I can understand that burglaries need to be investigated, and fires, too. The investigator told me that he could see that the home was heavily damaged from the flood. Anyway, all of this is just stressful and it's nice to get opinions and advice here. You have been a great help to me a number of times...thank you.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community