extradition for a probation violation

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Sat, Aug 11 2007 2:08 PM by Ford. 7 replies.
  • Wed, Aug 8 2007 10:22 AM

Question [=?] extradition for a probation violation

Can you be extradited for a misdemeanor probation violation? The supervised probation is in Idaho but I am in another state. Which states have extradition agreements with Idaho?
  • Wed, Aug 8 2007 11:42 AM In reply to

• Ford
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 16 2000
    • Posts 12,797

Feedback [*=*] re: extradition for a probation violation

All states will usually hold people for other states, because each state wants other states to hold the people it is looking for.

I've had misdemeanor clients brought from neighboring states, according to them.

The further away you are the "safer" you probably are, but warrants have other effects, like interfering with employment.
  • Wed, Aug 8 2007 12:02 PM In reply to

re: extradition for a probation violation

--Which states have extradition agreements with Idaho?

Idaho is not a foreign country. ALL states have agreements regarding detention and extradition with ALL the other states.
  • Fri, Aug 10 2007 12:00 PM In reply to

Question [=?] re: extradition for a probation violation

What will happen if you are picked up on an arrest warrant and they won't extradite you? Also, how do you find out which states will extradite you?
  • Fri, Aug 10 2007 12:13 PM In reply to

• Ford
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 12,797

Feedback [*=*] The system isn't there to help people evade warrants. . .

In my state/locale they hold you in county jail and set the case for review in several weeks. If you are still in our jail, then the judge might release you.

"how do you find out which states will extradite you?"

You probably don't. They aren't going to come right out and tell you where you'll be safe.
  • Fri, Aug 10 2007 2:39 PM In reply to

ALL States will extradite.

"What will happen if you are picked up on an arrest warrant and they won't extradite you?"

The arresting state will hold you for up to 90 days. If the State where the warrant is hasn't come to get you, you'll be released - until the next time you get picked up for something else and, potentially, held for another period of up to 90 days.

"Also, how do you find out which states will extradite you?"

There are NO States that won't extradite you. All States will extradite you to all other States.
    Now, if you're picked up on an Idaho warrant in Oregon it's probably a lot more likely that Idaho will come and get you than if you're picked in Florida on an Idaho warrant, but there's no guarantees. If Florida happens to be holding an Idaho serial killer at the same time, and ID comes to get him, they may well choose to take you back at the same time.

Richard
  • Sat, Aug 11 2007 9:26 AM In reply to

Question [=?] re: The system isn't there to help people evade warrants. . .

Can I do a supervised probation from Idaho in California? The probation officer in Idaho said I could not do it in Ohio.
  • Sat, Aug 11 2007 2:08 PM In reply to

• Ford
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 12,797

Feedback [*=*] re: The system isn't there to help people evade warrants. . .

I work in a public defender's office and I don't think transfering probation is a critical stage of a prosecution such that I'd work on this.

Supervised misdemeanor probation in my county is not under the direction of the DOC. It's a private company that contracts with the county. It's a scam.

Try these people:

http://www.interstatecompact.org/about/vision/default.shtml

Foremost, if your PO says no, that probably means no.

If you have completed all the requirements imposed by the court, and you've been under supervision for a while, like a year if you received two years, then you might write the judge and ask about commuting to unsupervised. If you had a PD, contact his office.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community