i stole from walmart and got caught what now?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 09-01-2007 4:10 PM by Theirmom. 11 replies.
  • 08-30-2007 10:19 PM

Question [=?] i stole from walmart and got caught what now?

ok need help, i used to work at wal mart (indiana) i did a stupid thing and loaded shopping cards for around 1800 bucks and i was found out the next day and they took a report and filed a police report the cop said it was a class d felony i've never been in trouble before and this was just a stupid thing to do. how much time if any am i looking at if they decide to sue or if they do should i just plead guilty to take a lesser sentance hopefully fine and probabtion.
  • 08-30-2007 11:14 PM In reply to

re: i stole from walmart and got caught what now?

IN Class D felonies are punishable by a sentence of 6 months to 3 years in prison or jail and up to a $10,000 fine; a Judge may also sentence someone convicted of a Class D Felony as if they were convicted of a Class A Misdemeanor, which has a sentence of 0 to 1 year in jail and up to $5,000 fine.
  • 08-31-2007 1:10 AM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: i stole from walmart and got caught what now?

You seriously need to assistance of counsel. This type of theft can follow you around for the rest of your life and greatly effect your ability to obtain employment for a very, very long time. Consult a local attorney.
  • 08-31-2007 6:52 PM In reply to

Question [=?] re: i stole from walmart and got caught what now?

is it possible to have the charge reduce to a high class misdemeaner from a felony and does pleading guilty even count as a conviction ,and does anyone know if walmart even prosecutes internal theft or would the state take over in this case
  • 08-31-2007 8:17 PM In reply to

The state is the only one who prosecutes crimes. Wal-Mart will go after you in civil court.
  • 08-31-2007 8:56 PM In reply to

Question [=?] re: i stole from walmart and got caught what now?

ok what are my options here i dont have money for a lawyer and a pubile defender is pretty much a freakin joke i be better of repping my self so filing a plea of guilty will i be able to work something out on my own with the prosecuters office or what
  • 08-31-2007 10:08 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: i stole from walmart and got caught what now?

"A man who represents himself has a fool for a client." You can certainly choose to represent yourself. I'd bet that the public defenders are far more prepared to defend a criminal prosecution, deal with the prosecutors and the courts than you are but it's your choice. You can't appeal if you turn out to be a bad lawyer for yourself.
  • 09-01-2007 9:14 AM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-23-2003
    • Posts 6,520

"a pubile defender is pretty much a freakin joke"

And what are penny ante crooks who get busted for stealing at WalMart and can't afford attorneys?

Ten-to-one I'll wager that you'll become prison bubblegum if you attempt to self-represent.
  • 09-01-2007 3:43 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] You are likely NOT better off doing this yourself.

So, how do you, a guy who has never been arrested before, know that public defenders are a “freakin joke”? Let me guess, you took the word of someone who is not a lawyer and really doesn't understand what lawyers do, right? Well, contrary to popular myth, most public defenders are very competent, and some of them are the best lawyers a defendant could hope get at any price. They have large case loads and cannot hold your hand through the process like a private lawyer, but then you are not paying private lawyer fees, either.

Public defenders are lawyers, and went through 3 years of law school, passed the bar, and have experience trying criminal cases. They also know the local courts and prosecutors, and thus what kinds of plea agreements might be possible. Do you really think that you would be better off representing yourself? That’s kind of like saying you’d be better off flying a plane with zero experience than riding in a plane flown by a licensed pilot. Maybe you could do it, but more likely you'd crash and burn. Frankly, if I were in your shoes and I could get a public defender, I’d take that in a heart beat.
  • 09-01-2007 4:08 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: You are likely NOT better off doing this yourself.

Did you KNOW that this is a website where Lawyers VOLUNTEER their time here to help people like yourself?

The reason that brought you HERE is YOUR fault. Insulting attorney's is not going to get you a positive response.

Our justice system does need some revamping, but right now it is all we have to work with. It will provide you a Lawyer in the event that you cannot pay for one yourself. How BAD is that?

Do you think that because you do not have to dig into your own pockets to pay the Lawyer directly that he/she do not get paid? They are free only to you. They do get paid.

"If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" and blame on any attorney if they can't help minimize your punishment.

If you go into that courtroom, representing yourself, they are going to wipe the floor up with you.

You will then be back here asking if you were treated fairly.

• 09-01-2007 4:10 PM In reply to

More [=+=] Response to Original Post, Not Attorney :-) eom

• 09-01-2007 9:54 PM In reply to

Angry [:@] Why am I a joke?

You admit you did the crime. How do you expect the PD to mess things up for you?

Your options are to:

1. Hire private counsel
    2. Apply for a PD
    3. Go pro se

Do NOT file a guilty plea without at least consulting with the incompetent PD that may be appointed to represent you. I, in my freaking-joke incompetence, can at least tell you that in an attempt to help you.

If you go to sentencing on a felony with open recs, YOU are the freaking joke.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community