>>>>Now the lawyer thinks his rights were violated when she told him he was guilty and going to prison. Could that be true and don't they have to read them their Miranda rights, the police there said no they didn't have to.
Taxagent's answer is not incorrect, however I think he refers to the general rules regarding the reading of Miranda rights and this applies in probably 95% of the cases. However, here, these facts might fall into the other 5%.
There is a different standard for custody under the 5th Amenmdent than there is under the 4th Amendment. For example, if a person is under arrest, he is in custody under both Amendments. However, even if he is not under arrest, he might still be in custody for purposes of Miranda under the 5th Amendment. That standard is merely whether a reasonable person would believe that he was free to go. Note that it is a "reasonable person's beleif and not that of the suspect or the officer.
If this were my case, I'd have the same concerns that his attorney appears to have. There might be a legitimate issue here.