California speeding ticket by AIRCRAFT - radar....

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Jan 15 2007 12:35 PM by imthelucky1. 10 replies.
  • Sun, Jan 14 2007 12:35 PM

California speeding ticket by AIRCRAFT - radar....

Hello,
    I recieved a #22406 (a) vc speeding ticket and the Officer wrote on the ticket- AIRCRAFT. The amount he wrote is 65 in a 55. I was in a Dodge 4x4, pulling a horse trailer. Not in a comm. vehicle.

Now I have a commercial License -class A, and he said the aircraft got me (twice) going 71, and 74. But he only gave me 65 in a 55. Yes he was kind to me. But do (they, CHP) keep the radar info somehow?

Now I dont want this on my record plus the fine will be steep. Do I go, plead NOT GUILTY and hope both officers dont show or ? Will aircraft show a different reading or is it written down?

Commercial License holders are not able to go to traffic shcool here in California. Willing to pay the fine and traffic school if offered, as long as it doesnt go on my record. Any advice? thanks T
  • Sun, Jan 14 2007 6:08 PM In reply to

• CdwJava
      Consumer
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 20 2003
    • CA
    • Posts 910

Feedback [*=*] re: California speeding ticket by AIRCRAFT - radar....

>>>But do (they, CHP) keep the radar info somehow?

No. The Stalker Dual radar most commonly used has no method of recording or retrieving these records.

>>>Do I go, plead NOT GUILTY and hope both officers dont show or ?

Your call. But, this is might be a viable option - though a slim one. The common method is that the spotter comes from the local office so if scheduled for court, he and the issuing officer work locally and stand a good chance of showing in court. The pilot - who would move around - may not be available (and generally does not have to be).

>>> Will aircraft show a different reading or is it written down?

It depends on the notes of the observer. His notes might indicate the higher speeds. You can seek these notes through discovery prior to trial.

- Carl
  • Mon, Jan 15 2007 2:10 AM In reply to

CHP planes don't use radar. They use a spotter and synchronized stop watches while pacing the vehicle between specifically measured markers along the freeway. Doesn't matter if you were or weren't in a commercial vehicle. If you're pulling a trailer, the speed limit is 55 on the freeway but, just like a commercial vehicle, you are supposed to remain in the far right lane. Having a commercial license should not prevent you from doing traffic school as long as the ticket was not given while driving a commercial vehicle. The court should send you a courtesy notice advising you whether or not the court will allow you to do traffic school. The aircraft spotter will appear for the trial along with the officer that pulled you over. In the counties I practice in, the pilot usuallly also comes since he needs his spotter to fly. The clerks are very good about making sure they are subpoenaed and CHP officers are very good at showing up to court. Consult counsel.
  • Mon, Jan 15 2007 2:40 AM In reply to

More [=+=] re: California speeding ticket by AIRCRAFT - radar....

Carl:
    "The common method is that the spotter comes from the local office so if scheduled for court, he and the issuing officer work locally and stand a good chance of showing in court."

This may vary by region.

I fly out of Buchanan Field, in Concord, and the CHP planes often refuel at the FBO I use, or park there while taking meal breaks. The pilots and spotters I've seen there always seem to be the same pairs, and in most cases they both wear wings, leading me to assume that they're both aviation dept officers at least, even if not both pilots.

Richard
  • Mon, Jan 15 2007 10:48 AM In reply to

re: California speeding ticket by AIRCRAFT - radar....

Hello and thanks for info....
    CHP dont use radar? That sounds more like the speed traps Ive been hearing about..? Not sure but I guess I can go in and hope they will be kind and reduce something: take points off? school, something?. I own and drive my own truck so I cant afford the points. thanks again really appriciate your info.>
  • Mon, Jan 15 2007 11:45 AM In reply to

It's not a speed trap. The plane actually paces you from the air and the stop watches are to calculate your speed vs. the plane's air speed. I've actually been in a CHP plane doing traffic enforcement on the highway. The vehicles they target are the ones whose speed makes them stand out.
  • Mon, Jan 15 2007 12:35 PM In reply to

re: ok thanks

Alrightee then...
    Ill slow down, this isnt any fun for me. thanks for all your help!!
  • Mon, Jan 15 2007 2:12 PM In reply to

• CdwJava
      Consumer
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 20 2003
    • CA
    • Posts 910

They likely work regionally so that an odd court appearance is not a huge burden. The plane for the "traveling road show" in my neck of the woods is based out of Sacramento, but they land at our local airport to refuel (both the plane and the occupants' stomachs). It's likely that they are regional as opposed to out of the local office.

- Carl
  • Mon, Jan 15 2007 7:03 PM In reply to

If what I heard from a friend of a friend is true, then the markers they use are painted strips on the highway. They know the precise distance between the painted strips. They compare that distance to the time it takes you to go between the painted strips.

If that is true, then it seems to be to be a very precise way of calculating speed.

(Sorry.)
  • Tue, Jan 16 2007 11:04 AM In reply to

In addition to what Gemini said, there is no "taking points off." Speeding, like pretty much every traffic infraction, is a one point ticket. Gemini already suggested traffic school, and if you really "can't afford the point," you better start sticking to the letter of the law.
  • Thu, Feb 22 2007 4:11 PM In reply to

Hello,
    A few things havent happened.......
    I never recieved the info on the ticket (bail) and I have court on monday. What I have done is ; wrote a letter to the court and also email them twice. They said they have yet to get the info from the officer. I also called CHP and the person looked up the info and said its not in the system. The Officer forgot to turn in his paperwork they said. NOW WHAT?? can you help again?? thanks a
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community