Skelly Hearing

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 09-15-2007 2:55 PM by MarieWD. 5 replies.
  • 09-10-2007 2:51 PM

• MarieWD
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-27-2005
    • Posts 14

Question [=?] Skelly Hearing

I have tried to research the guidelines for an employer's responsibilities when initiating a Skelly Hearing. Can someone direct me to the proper website or manual (I've researched on line and boolstores, too no avail). Thank you.
  • 09-10-2007 3:17 PM In reply to

re: Skelly Hearing

It would seem this is a public employee right. I should think a given agency's personnel rules or the State Personnel Board could shed some light on this.

• 09-10-2007 5:05 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: Skelly Hearing

I don't know anything about that but try looking through the items on this search link.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-07,GGLG:en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=skelly+hearing&spell=1
  • 09-10-2007 9:00 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: Skelly Hearing

That's because Skelly refers to a CA supreme court case. In Skelly v. State Personnel Bd. (1975) 15 Cal.3d 194, the California Supreme Court held that in order to satisfy due process, an agency considering disciplinary action against a public employee must accord the employee certain "preremoval safeguards," including "notice of the proposed action, the reasons therefor, a copy of the charges and materials upon which the action is based, and the right to respond, either orally or in writing, to the authority initially imposing discipline." (Id. at p. 215.) The Supreme Court's directive gave rise to an administrative procedure known as a Skelly hearing, in which an employee has the opportunity to respond to the charges upon which the proposed discipline is based.
    If you are a civil service/public employee, the provisions regarding disciplinary proceedings are in Government Code section 19570 et. seq.
  • 09-15-2007 2:55 PM In reply to

• MarieWD
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-27-2005
    • Posts 14

THANK YOU SO MUCH. YOU HAVE GIVEN ME A GREAT PLACE TO BEGIN RESEARCH.
    I am now certain our employer has just violated the rights of many of my friends. The skelly hearing officer never provided, ...a copy of the materials..."
    Again, thank you.
  • 09-15-2007 2:58 PM In reply to

• MarieWD
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-27-2005
    • Posts 14

Thanks a lot for being more considerate and sensitive to my question. I appreciated you gentleness.

Thanks for another research tool.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community