16 hour shifts

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Jul 6 2007 9:15 AM by BrooklynBabe. 2 replies.
  • Fri, Jul 6 2007 6:42 AM

• luckymc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • Posts 1

Question [=?] 16 hour shifts

At my job we have a thing called 'mandations'. Going by seniority, if the shift is short you are required to stay and additional 8 hours. Sometimes these 16 hour shifts are back-to-back. My doctor has issued a letter to my employer stating that this is not good for my medical condition and requests that I not be required to work 16 hours. Must the employer legally honor the letter?
  • Fri, Jul 6 2007 9:06 AM In reply to

• Beth3
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 24 2001
    • Posts 5,466

Feedback [*=*] re: 16 hour shifts

Based solely on the information you posted, no. If your medical condition qualifies as a disability under the ADA, then your employer will have to enter into an interactive process with you to determine whether any "reasonable accomodation" of your disability is feasible that would still allow you to perform the essential functions of your job. ANY reasonable accommodation will comply with the law, even if it's not the accommodation you requested.

Whether your medical condition qualfies as a disability and if so, what constitutes a reasonable accommodation, and lastly, whether working the mandations is an essential function of your job is unknown. Also keep in mind that your employer does not have to force other employees to work the extra shifts in order to accommodate you. If you have a disability as defined in the ADA that prevents you from working double shifts, then asking other employees if anyone would like to volunteer for the extra hours would be a reasonable accommodation.
  • Fri, Jul 6 2007 9:15 AM In reply to

Question [=?] re: 16 hour shifts

No, they are under no obligation to change the work place because your doctor is writing a note.
    Does it fall under the ADA?
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community