Landlord wont fix anything

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, Jun 17 2008 7:26 PM by Fxston. 9 replies.
  • Mon, Jun 16 2008 4:19 PM

Landlord wont fix anything

I live in a not so good area, most people in my area can't afford to rent any where else, the problem is the landlord knows this, he has 8 duplexes where I live, I am a single mother of a one year old and I work minuium wage so I don't have allot for rent, I had to put up cameras to watch the apartment when I am not home because the landlord rents to some unwanted type people drug dealers, etc, he doesn't care as long as he gets his rent. You can easly go out in the yard and find neadles or used condoms, my apartment alone has no heater ( it has a floor heater but it has never worked ) I had to buy and use electric heaters last winter, it has never had a smoke detector, the bathroom sink has dripped from the day I got here, I had a friend replace the tolet because the one in the appartment leaked on the floor, the kitchen faucet doesn't have any pressure to fill the sink to do dishes, the burners are all that work on the stove, the windows are nailed shut because they will fall in if you attempt to open them, after a windy day you can go out in the yard and find shingles all over the place, my roof leakes in the utility room over the top of the hot water tank whick rattles super loud when you turn on the hot water, I have told the landlord about all these problems and he said if I want them fixed then I can eaither fix it myself or if he fixes it he will up the rent, I got charged to replace my electric doom by the electric company because someone broke my meter doom, the utility company said it was my job to keep people out of my back yard but you can't all the yards are open and connected when I put stuff out to block some of the people traffic from going back behind my house the landlord told me I had to open the area back up, then he moved in known drug dealers across the driveway from me and I told him he needs to clean up the area he told me to just take care of myself or he will up my rent, I parked a friends truck beside my bedroom window as a percaustion because of the dealers across the driveway to hopefully deflet anything that might go down across the driveway, we have elderly people living in my area also that like me just can't afford to move or rent anything pricier, they are afraid to say anything to anyone because of retaleation, we could turn in our landlord but then where would we live.
    Any advice on what can be done, please.
  • Mon, Jun 16 2008 5:20 PM In reply to

re: Landlord wont fix anything

In future posts, please hit "enter" twice every so often to create paragraphs; a big block of text is hard to read.

You're free to contact the local city/county health department and code enforcement folks to do an inspection. If the place is condemned, however, you'd have to find someplace else to live.

The local fire department would probably take issue with the windows being nailed shut.

If you are on a month-to-month lease, yes, he can increase your rent each month so long as he gives you proper advance notice.

The electric company should be charging the landlord for issues related to its utility equipment (unless your lease has you agreeing to take responsibility for maintenance and repairs, which I gather is not the case since landlord would be reminding you of that when you mention repair needs).

If people are trespassing, you should call the police; when property is damaged (utility meter), you call the police.

As for the drug dealing activity, you call the police.

http://www.federalrealestate.net/laws/ksstatelaw.html

Sounds like you should contact the state, federal and local governments about housing subsidy programs you might qualify for, and other assistance. Given that you evidently make less than $14,000 a year and have two people in the household, you should qualify for federal assistance in a number of ways. I'd contact HHS and HUD.

I trust you're also pursuing child support with the state's help.

http://www.hud.gov/renting/index.cfm

http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/08poverty.shtml
  • Mon, Jun 16 2008 6:06 PM In reply to

Sorry about the block writting.

The utility company said it was my responcability for my meter, I told the landlord about it and all he said was thats to bad.

I only qualify for food stamps because they say I make to much for any other assistance and yes I make less than 14,000 a year.

In this area you don't call the police or you will have more problems then the one you might be dealing with.

Believe me if I could afford to move I would have by now.

I have tried contact places to help me out and they inform me that their are people that have less than me, that at least I have a roof over my head.

Thank You for your advice though.
  • Mon, Jun 16 2008 6:24 PM In reply to

Are you pursuing the other parent for child support??

"The utility company said it was my responcability for my meter, I told the landlord about it and all he said was thats to bad."

Even if the utilities are in your name, that doesn't mean you should be responsible for paying for a broken meter. Once you're out of there and if you have nothing better to do, I'd be suing the landlord for reimbursement.

"I only qualify for food stamps because they say I make to much for any other assistance and yes I make less than 14,000 a year."

Is this the state or ...?

http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/pha/contacts/states/ks.cfm

http://www.hud.gov/apps/section8/step2.cfm?state=KS,Kansas

• Mon, Jun 16 2008 6:26 PM In reply to

By the way ...

you might also want to look into a shared housing situation where you find another single mom or two to split rent on a better place ... even if that means pulling up stakes and moving to a different city.

I'd be networking with charitable organizations, church groups, combing newspaper ads, etc., etc.

• Mon, Jun 16 2008 7:42 PM In reply to

No one, even goverment agentcies can't seem to find my childs father ( Dead Beat Dad ).

I questioned the utility company about who should be responcable for the meter and they said I would have to sign a form agreeing to pay for it in installments for the next 3 months or they would not bring one out and I would be without electric.

State S.R.S. said because I started working any benefits I was recieving would end, but I still qualified for food stamp assistance.

Thank you for working with me on soulutions to try and find and fix my dalimma.

I guess I shouldn't complain I do have a roof over my child and my head, it isn't much but were not homeless.

• Tue, Jun 17 2008 11:33 AM In reply to

"No one, even goverment agentcies can't seem to find my childs father ( Dead Beat Dad )."

Sounds like perhaps you may want to talk with local legal aid society about trying to get you an attorney.

I understand what the utility company said about the meter, but, in the end, you shouldn't have to pay for it.

"State S.R.S. said because I started working any benefits I was recieving would end, but I still qualified for food stamp assistance."

Again, I'd be talking with HUD and HHS (federal government) about other forms of assistance (e.g., rent subsidies) just to make sure (and also local charitable organizations).

If all else fails, I think the shared housing thing (if you very carefully check out the possible roommates and enter into roommate agreements in addition to any lease) might help you get into a better place.

If you partner up with another single mom or two, you can even help in terms of child care arrangements and perhaps do some more on the education front to get access to jobs paying above minimum wage. (If job market is bad where you are, perhaps a charitable organization can help you out in terms of moving elsewhere.)

Seems like they don't do much in the way of business courses/life skills in high school these days, and I can tell you that learning how to type in high school, for instance (silly as it sounds), helped open a first door for me.

http://www.typing-lessons.org/
  • Tue, Jun 17 2008 4:47 PM In reply to

Thank You for all your information and I am sorry if my typing or spelling offended you .
    I'm not sure why you made the last statment you made.
  • Tue, Jun 17 2008 5:21 PM In reply to

I addressed the only major issue I had with your posts in the first response (namely having posted in one big block).

I think what I meant by the last remark is that if you have marketable skills, there's no reason why you're limited to a minimum wage job. I have to assume you don't yet have a marketable skill -- or at least perhaps don't *realize* you have one -- because you said you were working for minimum wage.

If you have computer skills and can clean up a little in the punctuation department, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to work clerical job that pays better than minimum wage.
  • Tue, Jun 17 2008 7:26 PM In reply to

By the way ...

in case you didn't know, minimum wage goes up 11.5% and change to $6.55 an hour as of July 24, so I hope that helps you out a little. (Don't have any reason to believe KS law or any city/county regulation/ordinance there dictates a higher minimum wage than Federal law calls for.)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community