Hearing Loss - Scheduled Award

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 08-02-2009 10:47 AM by Bruce Chief. 5 replies.
  • 12-16-2007 9:01 AM

Question [=?] Hearing Loss - Scheduled Award

Good morning, I just rec'd a couple of letters from OWCP for a hearing loss claim I made nearly a year ago.

The first letter was notifying me that my claim had been accepted and I was diagnosed with with: Binaural Sensorineural hearing loss. ICD-9 Code:389.10

The second letter I received said that I would be receiving a scheduled award but there in not a CA-7 on file. I'll take care of submitting that on Monday when I can get with my agency OWCP person in HR.

Now for my questions, and I have several: I was provided the following formula for determing the award amount...

500+1000+2000+3000/4 = A
    – A-25= B * 1.5 = monaural hearing loss
    – 5 (better ear) + (worse ear)/6 = binaural hearing loss
    – Percent of hearing loss * 2= weeks of compensation
    – Weekly salary * .75 or .67 = amount per week

Is this formula still valid? Assuming my hearing loss is 15 to 25% and my bi-weekly gross pay is $2500, what kind of S/A should I expect.

Once I have submitted the CA-7 what is the next step? I assume I wait. But will will likely be the next thing a receive from OWCP? Will it be a check or more forms to be submitted? I have read some about lump sum compensation vs extended comp payments. What is this all about beyond the dictionary definition or common meaning of the terms?

How do I go about obtaining hearing aids? Will OWCP cover the cost of purchasing these or will they have to come out of the S/A?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!
  • 12-16-2007 12:23 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: Hearing Loss - Scheduled Award

Looks like they already have the figures they think they need. Do you knw where these came from? If your doctor provided any figures, he/she should be shown what OWCP has provided to see if there are any major discrepancies.

The formula is number of weeks allowable per hearing loss per ear x amount of weekly compensation x percentage of impairment = S/A
  • 05-27-2009 3:48 PM In reply to

Re: Hearing Loss - Scheduled Award

Just curious--did you receive your award?  If so, was the  $ amount what you expected?  Was it a lump sum?

My husband received his approval letter in Nov. 2008 for the same diagnosis.  We have been waiting since then for the impairment rating.  The paperwork was on hold because of the switch from the 5th Edition to the 6th Edition of the AMA guidelines.  We were told we should receive a letter any day to give us an appt. date for the Dr. that will do the rating (referrel from OWCP thru Rickwel).

Any info would be appreciated.

• 05-30-2009 2:58 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,149

The process for calculating hearing loss awards did not change with the switch to the 6th Edition of the AMA Guides.  But, many OWCP offices were trying to clear up their backlog of orthopedic scheduled awards so that they would not have to redo those cases.  This "clean up" process may have caused a hearing loss SA claim to go to the back burner since there was not May 1 deadline to meet on such a case.

8 months seems like an awfully long time to be scheduled for that appointment.  I think that I would bug the CE about when it will occur.

• 05-30-2009 3:15 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,149

If the physician recommended hearing aids, have the vendor submit an autho request to ACS.

The CA-7 probably is for the purpose of obtaining your pay rate for compensation purposes.

I would expect that the next thing that you would receive would be the award notice and the money.  It may come as a lump sum or the award may terminate at a future date and be paid out every four weeks.  Usually these awards start on the date of the medical examination, so if that exam occurred awhile ago, the odds favor one lump sum payment.  If the exam was just last week, the ods favor one retroactive payment and ongoing payments every 28 days until the ending date of the award notice.

With hearing loss involving both ears, usually you get two weeks for every one percent of hearing loss.  A 10% binaural hearing loss is 20 weeks.  A 20% binaural hearing loss is 40 weeks. 

If there is a dramatic difference between the loss of hearing in the ears,  then this rule of thumb may not apply.  But, probably over 90%+ of hearing loss awards are paid the way described.

• 08-02-2009 10:47 AM In reply to

I received a letter 2 months ago that I was diagnosed, ICD-9 code. Sensorineral hearing loss, bilateral, BILATERAL, 389.18.

I recently received a 2nd letter that I am not entitled to a schedule award of compensation under federal employees compensation act. They say my hearing loss is not sever enough. After 40 years of working with aircraft for the federal goverment I also have ringing in the ears. I can appeal there decission.

Any ideas on what is the best next move?   

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community