Roommate gave notice-now won't leave

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 08-15-2008 5:22 PM by Drew. 3 replies.
  • 08-14-2008 9:46 AM

• chyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-13-2008
    • Posts 1

Sad [:(] Roommate gave notice-now won't leave

My roommate has lived here for 2.5 months and gave verbal notice last month to leave which I accepted and began to make plans to reclaim my home, though I stopped short of showing the room as long as it contained his property.

He has trespassed in my room and taken a computer that was buried so deeply in my closet, he had to dig for it.He's been through my pictures, letters and personal records. He's used my personal computer to download things for his personal use. He's physically threatened me & my possesionswhen I ask about monies owed, but scarier, I caught him spraying bug spray on my cat's food. I'm terrified he will hurt them and I keep them locked in my room when I'm working as I simply wish him to move on quietly and have done nothing to violate his rights or property.

Since he's given notice, am I at square one for the eviction process or is there a way to expedite matters?(State of Florida) He's been a no or late pay since moving in (he always has a series of emergencies....though he never lacks money to go out)while I'm rationing groceries and trying to keep the utilities on. I've already absorbed late fees and disconnection of utilities. I have a 7 year relationship with my landlady, whose been very kind about the siutaion, but I have no desire have this mess drag out or impact her any further or suffer more losses than I alerady have. Enough is enough...please advise.
  • 08-14-2008 11:17 AM In reply to

re: Roommate gave notice-now won't leave

Technically speaking, the termination notice normally needs to be written in FL to be valid.

It appears that this person isn't simply your roommate but your tenant.

"He has trespassed in my room and taken a computer that was buried so deeply in my closet, he had to dig for it."

Naturally you called the cops. And then ...?

"He's physically threatened me & my possesionswhen I ask about monies owed, but scarier...."

And what happened when you called the cops and sought a restraining order?

"Since he's given notice, am I at square one for the eviction process or is there a way to expedite matters?"

You're at square zero given what you've said. Howsabout that restraining order???

"He's been a no or late pay since moving in ...."

Then why didn't you start the eviction process after giving him a proper 7-day notice to pay up or quit?

Sounds like you don't know what's what here and you should seek local real estate counsel.

http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0083/SEC56.HTM&Title=->2008->Ch0083->Section%2056#0083.56
  • 08-14-2008 11:21 AM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: Roommate gave notice-now won't leave

Its past time for the 3 day pay or quit and after that proceed with the eviction process. If you don't know how to do it, contact a lawyer for assistance.
  • 08-15-2008 5:22 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,519

re: Roommate gave notice-now won't leave

Notice from a tenant he is leaving is entirely unreliable.

If the tenant threatened you with harm--call cops and file charges.

If tenant stole your stuff--and you can prove it--call cops and report stolen stuff--call them anyway and report it stoled even if you don't really know who--just don't accuse w/o proof.

As his LL--you need to follow due process--and you take him to court for unpaid rents!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community