what is a reserved judgement?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 11-30-2007 7:02 PM by Fxston. 4 replies.
  • 11-30-2007 11:05 AM

• LucyB1
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2006
    • FL
    • Posts 100

Question [=?] what is a reserved judgement?

I am in a long, drawn out divorce proceeding. The judge was VERY impatient with both of us and scared me witless! I just received a fax from his office saying he was taking into consideration testimony of both parties and will render a judgement soon.

I've never heard of such a thing.....has anyone else and if so, are there time limitations by which he is bound? Can he drag this past Christmas? I'm drowning!
  • 11-30-2007 11:24 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,958

re: what is a reserved judgement?

Odds are he can take as long as he needs to review the issues--your attorney may have a "feel" as to how long this particular judge takes.

I would not count on a precise date--and even when it does come thru it may not be immediate as to ability to implement everything--especially money matters

You better figure out how to use a lifeboat for yet more short term....

• 11-30-2007 11:35 AM In reply to

"I've never heard of such a thing..."

I'm not clear oh how much involvement you've had with the courts, but it's not uncommon -- the fact that he faxed you to tell you that vs. just say it at the hearing is unusual.

"Can he drag this past Christmas?"

Sure.

Do you not have an attorney??

• 11-30-2007 3:59 PM In reply to

• LucyB1
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2006
    • FL
    • Posts 100

Feedback [*=*] re: what is a reserved judgement?

I have an attorney, number 5 at last count! (last one bailed on the current firm) and he's in trial all day. I just thought someone here had some idea of this.

This is for temporary support (after three years of separation, hub not wanting a divorce, yet doesn't want to be married....never mind...it's a long story). I just have trouble with waiting to decide when such as I have need is proven.
  • 11-30-2007 7:02 PM In reply to

I think I'm starting to recall your name.

If you weren't getting support from the guy during the three years you've been separated, as I would have said on other threads, you may have a very hard time convincing the court to give it to you at this point.

You're always free to lock in an attorney in your engagement/retainer agreement/contract, and include certain provisions in the event they bail out of nowhere, e.g., *refund*. Even if that attorney is an associate at a firm, you can get the firm to agree that if that associate leaves, the case can go with him-her if you choose.

If attorneys are bailing on your case left and right, you're not doing proper research on the attorneys before you hire them; only other explanation is that you're having problems paying them or are a *really* high-maintenance client (code for other words).
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community