Can I choose which parent I want to live with?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 01-01-2007 7:36 PM by Jsmitten-Esquire. 3 replies.
  • 12-30-2006 1:54 PM

• MBech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-30-2006
    • Posts 1

Question [=?] Can I choose which parent I want to live with?

I'm 16 years old and I will be 17 comping in April. I currently live with my dad and stepmom. My mother lives in Canada and they have joint-custody over me. There's 2 things I want to ask for clarification and maybe some help.
    The first is that the way I "moved in" with my dad if you want to call it that. I was supposed to come down and visit him for 10 days and after the 4th day of being there "visiting" my dad tells me to come into the room that he's in and he puts my mom on speakerphone and then they proceed to tell me that I'm going to be living in Florida now. I was 15 at the time. Is that legal to do?
    The second thing is that I'm sick of living in Florida and with my dad. I've made a few friends and I spend my weekends doing nothing. Sometimes I become depressed. I'm going to be a senior in highschool next year and I would like to graduate with my realy friends. Basicly I'm 16, turning 17 before I end this current school year and I was wondering how old do you have to be to decide which parent you want to live with, and how would you go about that legally?

Thanks in advance,
    Max Bechirian
  • 12-30-2006 3:31 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: Can I choose which parent I want to live with?

unfortunately, you're unable to do anything. The decision has already been made for you by both your mother and your father. It sounds like your mother agreed to this whole situation. You'll be an adult soon, and with that you'll long for the boredom you so hate now. It's most likely that depression itself is your problem, rather than florida, whether in Canada or Florida, you'll still have to contend with making friends and finding something to do on weekends. You might want to talk to your dad, maybe he can help you. Maybe you could get a job, or volunteer somewhere on weekends.
  • 12-30-2006 4:25 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: Can I choose which parent I want to live with?

I assume that your parents somehow legally ratified the decisions that they made. If they agreed to this change, you may not have been aware of any legal paperwork that may have been filed.

By living with your Dad, your Mom probably agreed to give up any child support payment that your Dad was making. (In fact, she may have agreed to pay him some child support.) BTW, if she agreed to this change, what makes you think that she wants you back?

You don't say what state had jurisdiction, although you posted in the FL board. In FL, you don't have the absolute right to choose which parent you want to live with until you are 18. (At that point, you could choose to live with neither parent.)

I know that a 18 months is a long time for a teenager, but, if I were you, I would "deal with it" until you graduate from high school. At that point, you are free to make your own decisions.

If you are having trouble making friends in your new community, you might talk to a school counselor or ask you Dad to arrange for some counseling for you.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community