How long does a tenant have to take the landlord to court?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 04-06-2008 9:41 PM by Sprinkles76. 4 replies.
  • 04-01-2008 5:14 PM

Question [=?] How long does a tenant have to take the landlord to court?

I am wondering if there is a limit to how long the tenant has to take the landlord to court for security deposit. I am the landlord in this case and I have done everything on my end as far as sending them the notice within 30 days with the break down of everything that was repaired and total amount which was greater then their deposit. Now I am wondering if they choose to persue me in court (district court) how long do they have to file that claim? Or is there no time limit?
    Thanks
  • 04-01-2008 5:29 PM In reply to

re: How long does a tenant have to take the landlord to court?

The PA statute of limitations for contracts (verbal and written) is 4 years.

So, unless there is a different time limit in the PA landlord tenant statutes, then the tenant can take up to 4 years to sue you.

If he's going to sue you, chances are he won't wait that long.

Check out the PA landlord tenant statute and see if it says different:

http://www.thelpa.com/PA_landlord_tenant_act.pdf

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 04-02-2008 6:02 PM In reply to

Ok [+0+] re: How long does a tenant have to take the landlord to court?

Thank you ... 4 yrs seems like a long time to have that window open! But what can you do..
    Thank you for all your help I really appreciate it :)
  • 04-03-2008 9:10 AM In reply to

Question [=?] re: How long does a tenant have to take the landlord to court?

If the amount of damages exceeded the security deposit, I'm wondering why *you* aren't suing the tenant?
  • 04-06-2008 9:41 PM In reply to

Ok [+0+] re: How long does a tenant have to take the landlord to court?

It's not worth the aggrevation to me - and then to pay to sue on top of it - I am glad to be rid of them and I am just happy to take the loss and move on with it - I am also no longer planning on ever renting again after this.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community