Breach of Promise?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 07-11-2007 1:47 PM by gemini47. 6 replies.
  • 07-11-2007 10:37 AM

Breach of Promise?

Can a woman sue a man for breach of promise?

We have been dating nearly four years, and engaged for nearly two (since Nov. 2005). He is still unwilling to set a date for us to be married (I don't want any type of wedding) and I have no reason to believe he ever will be willing. He says it is because I have "issues" and "change the rules".

We are both now in our mid-50s. He's a widower with 4 older kids, I'm divorced with no kids. I have been an unpaid cook, maid, seamstress, secretary, nurse, companion on trips, and tutor to his kids for 4 years. A month ago, I told him our physical relationship was over until we were married. I'm 90% certain he will never marry me.

Please do not admonishing me for being such a fool or for allowing this to occur. He has told me repeatedly he will marry me. Fact is, he is unwilling to set a date. I honestly believe I have been misled and strung along.

Do I have any legal recourse? The state in question is MO. Thank you.

• 07-11-2007 12:25 PM In reply to

Question [=?] re: Breach of Promise?

This is probably what you do not want to hear, but NO. You stayed with him, and he is not required to marry you. If you chose to stay with him and quit your job and do all those things for him, that was your choice.

I have no idea how you will be able to prove fraud, because you did things that a girlfriend often does for their boyfriend. You will probably be unable to prove he was never willing all along and even if by some slim chance you are, what do you want out of it? What exactly would you sue for?

Now that you know he probably will not get married, its time to cut your losses and live the rest of your life doing what makes you happy.

• 07-11-2007 1:24 PM In reply to

re: Breach of Promise?

Greensky, it's been a while. Guess things *still* aren't working out with the goober you've written about in the past.

"Can a woman sue a man for breach of promise?"

Anyone can sue anyone else for anything.

"I'm 90% certain he will never marry me."

Then why waste any more time and energy on the jerk?? Rhetorical.

You'd have to discuss whether there is a legal basis with a local MO civil attorney (if I recall, you've already talked with one about prenups?). Off the top of my head, I'd expect the suit to be dismissed.
  • 07-11-2007 1:45 PM In reply to

Disagree [)*(] Actually

MO is one of a handful of states that does recognize the cause of action for breach of promise to marry. HOWEVER, the promise must be in writing to be enforceable.
  • 07-11-2007 1:47 PM In reply to

More [=+=] Clarification

It must be in writing to be ACTIONABLE not enforceable since a court cannot order either party to marry the other.
  • 07-11-2007 2:37 PM In reply to

re: Breach of Promise?

Theoretically you cam sue him. But what are your damages?

You're a big girl. Time to pack your bags and move on.
  • 07-11-2007 4:22 PM In reply to

Question [=?] re: Breach of Promise?

Greensky, is this the guy you have posted about who will not leave you anything if you get married to him? Is this the guy who intends on leaving everything to his kids, and leaving you totally out the loop?

Based on that, he sounds like a cad. Even if you were to marry him sounds like you won't get much out of it anyways if he intends on leaving his whole estate and insurance policies to his kids.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community