Lawyer suing me for fee

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, Mar 28 2007 3:43 PM by ca19lawyer2. 5 replies.
  • Sun, Mar 25 2007 9:13 AM

Lawyer suing me for fee

I received a verdict that was overturned on appeal. The court, while granting the appeal, stated that it would consider awarding attorney’s fees on my behalf after the case was reheard.

At the end of the case, my attorney would not petition the court for payment of attorney’s fees and he is now suing me for the balance of the money I owe him.

Won’t his actions prohibit him from collecting his fees because of his failure to petition the court for their payment?

Thanks for your help.

afraga8626
  • Sun, Mar 25 2007 8:21 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: Lawyer suing me for fee

Are you saying that you don't think the attorney is entitled to his fees because he didn't request the court to order the other party to pay? If that's your question, the answer is no. He represented you and you are the party ultimately responsible to pay him. If you think the court should order the other party to pay, you can file that request on your own. That the attorney didn't doesn't preclude him from getting paid.
  • Mon, Mar 26 2007 11:54 AM In reply to

re: Lawyer suing me for fee

"Won’t his actions prohibit him from collecting his fees because of his failure to petition the court for their payment?"

No.
  • Wed, Mar 28 2007 9:49 AM In reply to

• afraga8
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 29 2004
    • Posts 3

Thanks for the reply.

Another question;my attorney was refered to me by another lawyer, with whom he split my fee. The refering lawyer provided no legal services.

He does not show the referral payment on his bill but merely outlines an hourly rate for his services

Can I use as a defense that I had to pay him a fee for services that in fact were due to the referal payment?

Thanks for your help.

afraga826
  • Wed, Mar 28 2007 12:35 PM In reply to

Disagree [)*(] No

His agreement to provide a referral fee to the other attorney is NOT a defense and has nothing to do with whether or not you owe money to your attorney.
  • Wed, Mar 28 2007 3:43 PM In reply to

I agree with Gemini and am at a loss to understand why his agreement to pay part of the fee he receives from you to a referral source would be even remotely relevant to your obligation to pay (unless you're somehow claiming that he inflated his fee because of his agreement to pay a referral fee).
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community