Cancellation of Depositions

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 10-24-2007 5:20 PM by ca19lawyer2. 2 replies.
  • 10-23-2007 7:39 PM

• NYMike1
      Consumer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-02-2006
    • NY
    • Posts 253

Question [=?] Cancellation of Depositions

Can anyone tell me if it's true that there is a law
    (NYS or Federal, not sure) that if the defendants postpone 2 scheduled depositions that the plaintiff can petition the court to bar the defendants from ever deposing the plaintiff?
    It had something to do with the defense not being able to keep putting the plaintiff on notice and then keep cancelling as a means of delaying litigation or something to that effect.
    I read somewhere online about the plaintiffs options to stop it from happening over and over, but the person only eluded to it and wasn't sure themselves about the existence of the actual law.
  • 10-24-2007 8:13 AM In reply to

re: Cancellation of Depositions

"Can anyone tell me if it's true that there is a law
    (NYS or Federal, not sure) that if the defendants postpone 2 scheduled depositions that the plaintiff can petition the court to bar the defendants from ever deposing the plaintiff?"

Probably not specifically like that.

But rules of court typically allow a judge to compel the parties and/or attorneys to perform properly on pain of contempt.

It's also possible that sanctions could include losing the opportunity to depose the other party.

Court rules also often specify a particular time limit for completing discovery and depositions. Unfortunately, those time limits are often very long.

Do you have an attorney? An attorney would know how to resolve the matter.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 10-24-2007 5:20 PM In reply to

re: Cancellation of Depositions

"Can anyone tell me if it's true that there is a law
    (NYS or Federal, not sure) that if the defendants postpone 2 scheduled depositions that the plaintiff can petition the court to bar the defendants from ever deposing the plaintiff?"

No such law exists in any jurisdiction.

"It had something to do with the defense not being able to keep putting the plaintiff on notice and then keep cancelling as a means of delaying litigation or something to that effect."

If a party (either plaintiff or defendant) abuses the discovery process in order to delay a case, then the court may impose sanctions. In an appropriate case, I could see a court imposing an evidentiary sanction of the sort you mention, but it would be HIGHLY unusual and would require rather eggregious conduct.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community