IRC 1341- REPAYMENT OF UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, Mar 21 2007 7:13 PM by Taxagent. 1 replies.
  • Tue, Mar 20 2007 4:22 PM

• mark f
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 25 2005
    • IL
    • Posts 29

IRC 1341- REPAYMENT OF UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION

Its my understanding if someone pays unemployment compensation back for a prior tax year and the amount is $3,000 or less this amount is claimed as an misc. itemized deduction subject to 2%. This deduction is also required to be taken in year the payment is rendered. It appears that for someone who doesn't itemize, the tax benefit is lost? Why is that? What is the reasoning for this? I see if it is more than $3,000 than you have two options that result inleast tax: 1)To claim as misc. itemized deduction (not subject to 2%) or 2)Recompute the tax for the earlier year as if the income had not been reported. The difference between the recomputed tax and the actual tax can be claimed as a tax credit on "other payments" of the current return.
  • Wed, Mar 21 2007 7:13 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: IRC 1341- REPAYMENT OF UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION

“ It appears that for someone who doesn't itemize, the tax benefit is lost? Why is that? What is the reasoning for this?”

It’s the same reason as for all itemized deductions: it’s the kind of expense that Congress feels is covered by the standard deduction if the taxpayer chooses to use it instead of itemizing.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community