Vehicle Property Tax - CT

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 04-06-2012 4:25 PM by pjjapapa. 33 replies.
  • 12-13-2006 6:06 PM

Vehicle Property Tax - CT

In 1992 I lived in Stamford, CT for 9 months and my vehicle was registered in CT. I moved to Texas Sept. 1, 1992. I registered my car in Texas on Feb 3, 1993. A couple months ago I was contacted by a collection agency saying that I owed property tax on the vehicle for the tax year 10/1/92 - 9/30/03. I sent the City of Stamford documentation about the vehicle registration and offered to provide proof of residence in for 1992, but they say I still owe all tax, interest and penalties that have accrued since 1992 since I did not get a Texas registration until Feb. 1993. I never received a tax statement, and I never heard that I owed these taxes until a couple months ago. Now the interest has compounded at 18% for 14 years. Do I have any recourse? The collection agency is still involved. Thanks!
  • 12-15-2006 11:06 PM In reply to

re: Vehicle Property Tax - CT

“I never received a tax statement, and I never heard that I owed these taxes until a couple months ago.”

If CT is like CA, tax laws probably say you are responsible for taxes even though you don’t receive a statement, particularly if it is secured by real property.

However, in this case, it is unsecured property, a car. I can see that you may have to pay for the 1992 year or 92-93 year in CT, but I don’t see how you could be held responsible for the 13 years since. Have you asked the City under what regulation of state law they feel they can charge you for taxes when you don’t live in their state? I would continue to fight it.
  • 12-17-2006 3:43 PM In reply to

I suggest you look up the CT vehicle property tax statutes and read them thoroughly and carefully. That way you'll know what's collectible under the circumstances and you'll be able to cite them to the collection agency when you communicate with them in writing.

You should also be looking into any statutes of limitations regarding tax collection at the same time.

You can look up statutes at:

www.findlaw.com

Logically, you should owe tax through 2/3/93 plus any penalties, interest, and costs that have accrued since then but I have no idea what your statutes say about non-compliance and, at the moment, neither do you.

You need to investigate further.
    • The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 01-13-2007 3:38 PM In reply to

• CathyL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-13-2007
    • Posts 5

Can you tell me what happened? I am faced wtih the same situation and i was never billed and now have over $3,000 of taxes due. The collection agency sent documentation but no official notices from City of Stamford and no actual calculation of the taxes due.

Thanks.
  • 01-15-2007 2:44 PM In reply to

Cathy,

You are really going to have to do some research into CT state and local tax laws before you can even start to address your tax bill.

The taxing authorities probably have websites with links to the information and you can find CT statutes at www.findlaw.com

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 01-24-2007 9:14 AM In reply to

Angry [:@] re: Vehicle Property Tax - CT

I also received a notice from a collection agency for taxes due from 1997 plus interest and penalty. I moved to Virginia in 1998 and although my mail was forwarded, I never received a tax bill or past due reminder. I spoke to the Stamford tax office and they offer no relief. I have to pay or jeopardize my credit. I asked why they waited 10 years. They said legislation was recently enacted in CT allowing them to use a collection agency!!! What can we do? A class action suit against the city of Stamford?
  • 01-24-2007 12:26 PM In reply to

Apparently, these are not isolated incidents. I just received similar notice from a CA on city of Stamford vehicle tax for 97-98.

I can understand paying the $57.00 in original tax, but I am incensed over the $99.00 in feesx and interest. I always leave a forwarding address, I always pay my bills on time and in full and this is the first time I have heard of such a tax owed.

Per the advice of others, I have tried to look up Connecticut Statute of Limitations on collections and Property Tax laws, but I am finding it hard to sort through and am finding primarily consumer debt information.

Can anyone help us get closer to the correct source of information? Should a letter be written to the CA or to the City of Stamford?

Thanks!
  • 01-25-2007 7:30 PM In reply to

• CathyL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-13-2007
    • Posts 5

I could not find the information regarding CT statues on that website. From discussions with Attorney General Office and Office of policy, I understand the statue for payment is 15 years. From what I have read and discussed with people, I understand that the collection agency will eventually cease trying to collect since they are such old claims. Also, the agency does not have right to garnish wages or report to credit bureau after 7 years from date of bill. I have never received the original bills. I have also been advised to not contact the agency or city tax office.
  • 01-25-2007 7:38 PM In reply to

• CathyL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-13-2007
    • Posts 5

Please see my latest posting. I never knew about the tax either or was ever billed. I believe the city may be having financial challenges and is looking up old "debts". You are lucky cause with interest and collection agency fees my total is about $3000 for 4 years...the principal is $1000. If the debt is more than 15 years old you no longer have to pay ..in addition they can only report it to the credit bureaus within the first 7 years. Collection agencies will eventually give up.
  • 01-25-2007 7:40 PM In reply to

• CathyL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-13-2007
    • Posts 5

see my other messages...just ignore it...they can no longer report it if it is older than 7 years and you are not obligated to pay if it is older than 15 years.
  • 01-26-2007 9:41 AM In reply to

Am I obligated for 15 years to pay the interest as well as the principal?

I resorted to contacting the collection agency. The first two attempts got me placed on hold for 20 minutes. On the third attempt I got some gum chewing person who sounded like he got pulled off the street to answer the phone in the curtest manner possible. There was no flexibility here either. I told him I never received the bill. He said "Tax bills are not forwarded". Now there's an interesting statement! If a tax bill is not forwarded, does it just then lie in wait for 10 years to go by and then find the poor slob (in this case me) who now must pay extraordinary fees?
  • 01-26-2007 3:40 PM In reply to

• CathyL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-13-2007
    • Posts 5

Feedback [*=*] re: Vehicle Property Tax - CT

Bullman,

I am in the same position and have been advised to NOT contact the CA. We had one brief conversation and they sent me partial documention of the "debts'. Remember the CA is not out to help you. They are low paid employees and the CA has either bought the debts from the city or gets paid a commission from the city on the amounts they collect. SO they will not get you out of it! If you do not answer their letters, return their calls and DON't GIVE out your phone number or employer information they will most likely go away, especially since these are old "debts".

Based on my research online, conversations with CT dept of policy and Attorney General office, keep in mind the following:

-the statute of limitation for these "debts' is 15 years. after that you are not obligated to pay

-The CA cannot sue you, & cannot garnish your wages

-The "debts" can only be reported within a seven year time period of when they were do. So if the city realized you "owed them" money, which I doubt they did, the debts would have already been on your credit report.

From what i have been reading, the city is having financial challenges and recently increased real estate property taxes. So it seems that they have found all these auto tax payments that they never contacted individuals about. Maybe they had a computer malfunction for 10 years???

hope this helps.
  • 01-26-2007 11:24 PM In reply to

Yes, it does help.

I offered the city the original amount of the taxes due not including interest. They should have taken my offer. Now they will get nothing!

I guess they never heard of tax amnesty.
  • 05-14-2009 6:59 PM In reply to

• penguintx
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-14-2009
    • TX
    • Posts 1

Re: re: Vehicle Property Tax - CT

CathyL,

I know it's been a while since you've posted this, but I wanted to let those on this message board know that I just received the same type of letter from the City of Middletown for taxes I supposedly owed since July 1, 1998.  Not sure why I'm finding out about this after almost 11 years, but I appreciate your reponse to Bullman.  It helped me out as well.

Thanks!

• 05-15-2009 9:12 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,498

Re: re: Vehicle Property Tax - CT

I hope the folks citing 15 year limits are properly researching it because the underlying English laws from which a lot of thisstuff comes is clear that there is no statutue of limitation on debts owed to a unit of government UNLESS it is expressely so written. It could well be true--but a general SOL may not apply.

That said---come of this collection stuff is close to patronage ?

Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community