Mobile Homes Allowed On My Property?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Aug 11 2008 3:48 PM by Jeeper. 5 replies.
  • Sun, Aug 10 2008 11:52 PM

Mobile Homes Allowed On My Property?

I have 3 acres out of of the city limits that my family has owned since 1979 (i have inherited it)... When we bought the property in 1979 it was completely surrounded by undeveloped forest land. In 1994, the surrounding land was devloped into a nice middle-class subdivision. Our 1979 built house and 3 acres remains in the middle of the new subdivision and we use the subdivision roads as easement to our property.

I have sufficient land to put 3-5 mobile homes. What I want to do is prep the sites and rent the sites to mobile home owners. The sites would actually be in the rear of the property mostly invisible to the subdivision roads. I am not sure of the zoning in my area, but being that we have been here since 1979 WAY BEFORE the neighborhood development, shouldn't we have right to put the mobile homes on our property?
  • Mon, Aug 11 2008 2:46 AM In reply to

re: Mobile Homes Allowed On My Property?

"but being that we have been here since 1979 WAY BEFORE the neighborhood development, shouldn't we have right to put the mobile homes on our property?"

No.

Being grandfathered is what you are referring to.

If there were no mobile homes on the property before mobile home became prohibited, then there is no grandfathering for something that wasn't there.

"I am not sure of the zoning in my area"

Wouldn't it make sense to look up your zoning ordinances and be sure?

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Mon, Aug 11 2008 11:14 AM In reply to

ok, checked with city... they have no zoning jurisdiction in the county that i am in... talked to county engineering... they said since i was here way before the subdivision development then i can do what i want.
  • Mon, Aug 11 2008 2:02 PM In reply to

That may be true but I wouldn't rely on what somebody TOLD me whithout actually looking it up in the zoning ordinances and seeing it in print.

Otherwise you may be in for an unpleasant surprise and the conversation could go like this:

Zoning: Sorry no mobile homes allowed on that property.

Jay: But Joe over there told me I can do what I want.

Zoning: Hey, Joe, did you tell this guy he could do whatever he wants.

Joe: No, sure didn't.

Zoning: Mr Jay, did you look it up.

Jay: Uh, no.

Zoning: Sorry no mobile homes allowed on that property.

Jay: But I've already spent $$$$$. Sniff, Sniff.

Zoning: Sorry about that.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Mon, Aug 11 2008 3:48 PM In reply to

• Jeeper
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 24 2005
    • Posts 494

You need to contact either your township or county ZONING office, whichever does have jurisdiction, not your county engineer. The county engineer isn't the proper authority.

I have to agree with Jack; if you don't already have a mobile home on the property, you're likely not grandfathered. There are a lot of variables that come into play, though. A lot depends on the specific zoning of your property to begin with.

If you attempt a zoning variance or zone change, expect a BIG fight from adjoining property owners.
  • Mon, Aug 11 2008 6:45 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: Mobile Homes Allowed On My Property?

>and we use the subdivision roads as easement to our property.

I'm sure this will come into play as well. Is the subdivision a "private" subdivision, as in an HOA? Or is it publicly-owned roads that are maintained by the local government, i.e., city, county, etc.?

The terms of the easement that you have may also restrict your usage of those roads for access, as in, to *you*, not any tenants that you may "acquire".

You also don't say how it came to be that your property is somewhat "landlocked" within this subdivision. If you currently use the subdivision roads for access, how did you gain access before the subdivision was built?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community