The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Handling of a trust

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, Sep 11 2007 10:37 AM by LIMAMA. 5 replies.
  • Mon, Sep 10 2007 5:38 PM

• Danny5
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Posts 3

Question [=?] Handling of a trust

My parent died leaving me as the trustee of his trust. Beside posting in the newspaper 3 times asking if any unpaid debts, is there anything else I have to do in Arkansas before disbursing the monies? Does one have to come to court to show the trust has been distributed? Is there perhaps a dolar amount for the trust that might bring me back to Arkansas? I live in Minnesota and it is a bit of a trip for me if I don't have to come there in person.
  • Mon, Sep 10 2007 5:57 PM In reply to

re: Handling of a trust

"Beside posting in the newspaper 3 times asking if any unpaid debts, is there anything else I have to do in Arkansas before disbursing the monies?"

Is this a trust? If so, I can't imagine why you'd need to advertise anything in the paper. What you describe sounds like an action taken in connection with administration of a will. Also, the issue of Arkansas vs. Minnesota has me concerned that what you're really talking about is probating of an estate.

You should be talking with an AR estate-probate attorney.

• Mon, Sep 10 2007 11:06 PM In reply to

• Danny5
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3

I checked with some books on line and I saw I had to publish the announcements. Perhaps I read them wrong.

The Trust and the Will showed my name as the Trustee. I just want to make sure I am following the law as I don't want any problems in the future and didn't know what the next steps are. I have Power of Attorney but of course tht doesn't matter since my parent died. I am the trustee for the account but want to make sure I am following the propper steps in closing the financial accounts.

Mom married Step Dad but they each made their own trust. Then they made a "family trust". The will only handled the "family trust" items, the car, house etc"

I just wnt to make sure I don't do the wrong thing as I close out Mom's trust. Do you still think I need to talk with a lawyer? We had one but she was incompetent and was acting in an untimely fashion to our previous questions.
  • Tue, Sep 11 2007 12:20 AM In reply to

• LIMAMA
      Consumer
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 10 2003
    • Posts 1,542

Yes, you need a lawyer.
  • Tue, Sep 11 2007 10:35 AM In reply to

• Danny5
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3

Can I use a lawyer in my state or does it have to be one in Arkansas?

Thank you in advance for your help.
  • Tue, Sep 11 2007 10:37 AM In reply to

• LIMAMA
      Consumer
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 10 2003
    • Posts 1,542

Arkansas.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community