Handling of a trust

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 09-11-2007 10:37 AM by LIMAMA. 5 replies.
  • 09-10-2007 5:38 PM

• Danny5
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Posts 3

Question [=?] Handling of a trust

My parent died leaving me as the trustee of his trust. Beside posting in the newspaper 3 times asking if any unpaid debts, is there anything else I have to do in Arkansas before disbursing the monies? Does one have to come to court to show the trust has been distributed? Is there perhaps a dolar amount for the trust that might bring me back to Arkansas? I live in Minnesota and it is a bit of a trip for me if I don't have to come there in person.
  • 09-10-2007 5:57 PM In reply to

re: Handling of a trust

"Beside posting in the newspaper 3 times asking if any unpaid debts, is there anything else I have to do in Arkansas before disbursing the monies?"

Is this a trust? If so, I can't imagine why you'd need to advertise anything in the paper. What you describe sounds like an action taken in connection with administration of a will. Also, the issue of Arkansas vs. Minnesota has me concerned that what you're really talking about is probating of an estate.

You should be talking with an AR estate-probate attorney.

• 09-10-2007 11:06 PM In reply to

• Danny5
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Posts 3

I checked with some books on line and I saw I had to publish the announcements. Perhaps I read them wrong.

The Trust and the Will showed my name as the Trustee. I just want to make sure I am following the law as I don't want any problems in the future and didn't know what the next steps are. I have Power of Attorney but of course tht doesn't matter since my parent died. I am the trustee for the account but want to make sure I am following the propper steps in closing the financial accounts.

Mom married Step Dad but they each made their own trust. Then they made a "family trust". The will only handled the "family trust" items, the car, house etc"

I just wnt to make sure I don't do the wrong thing as I close out Mom's trust. Do you still think I need to talk with a lawyer? We had one but she was incompetent and was acting in an untimely fashion to our previous questions.
  • 09-11-2007 12:20 AM In reply to

Yes, you need a lawyer.
  • 09-11-2007 10:35 AM In reply to

• Danny5
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Posts 3

Can I use a lawyer in my state or does it have to be one in Arkansas?

Thank you in advance for your help.
  • 09-11-2007 10:37 AM In reply to

Arkansas.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community