The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

How to become personal representative

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Sep 17 2007 4:21 PM by Fxston. 2 replies.
  • Sat, Sep 15 2007 8:05 PM

• tazia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 10 2007
    • Posts 18

Question [=?] How to become personal representative

My mother died without a will in Florida. She had no assets. I need to obtain her medical records but cannot do so unless I am appointed "personal representative".
    I have contacted the probate court and was told that I did not have to go through that court since there were no assets and I should call civil court. Civil court supervisor tells me I have to go to probate court and I need a lawyer to do so. Can anyone tell me how to go about doint this and do I need a lawyer?
  • Sun, Sep 16 2007 12:01 AM In reply to

• LIMAMA
      Consumer
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 10 2003
    • Posts 1,542

re: How to become personal representative

Consult a FL estate/probate lawyer in the county your mother passed.
  • Mon, Sep 17 2007 4:21 PM In reply to

re: How to become personal representative

"I have contacted the probate court and was told that I did not have to go through that court since there were no assets and I should call civil court."

That's not true. I'd contact a local estate-probate attorney for the particulars. Remember, the clerks who answer the phone are not lawyers and, in this case, it appears whomever you talked to was simply using this as a way to blow you off.

Unless you are able to figure out what proper forms to fill out and file, yes, you need a lawyer.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community