company is charging credit card without authorization

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 01-21-2006 11:02 PM by lilward5. 6 replies.
  • 01-18-2006 10:59 PM

Question [=?] company is charging credit card without authorization

I am currently renting furniture. I am in and out of town, on business. I left a copy of my credit card with the rental company, so I may call in payment, incase I am out of town. I have recently run into financial problems. I have not been able to make the payments, if any, ontime. The rental company has illegally charged a payment on my cc. Once, I was out of state on business and was charged twice in the same week. There has been a total of three unauthorized charges. I am not denying the debt, however, I never gave them authorization. The charges has caused overdraft charges and insufficient funds, on my account. What, if anything, can be done?
  • 01-19-2006 12:52 AM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: company is charging credit card without authorization

First, read carefully the agreement you signed with the rental company. My guess is that buried in there is an authorization to charge the card without the need to contact you each time. If not, then your next step should be to contact your credit card company in writing and dispute the charges. You generally must do this within 60 days of when you received the first bill on which these charges occurred. The instructions and address should appear on your statement somewhere (often on the back). In general, the credit card company must suspend collection of the disputed amount until it finishes its investigation of the dispute and notifies you of the result. It may still collect undisputed amounts during that time, however. You may also want to call the card customer service center and ask how to prevent future charges on the account. It may give you a new card with a different account number and close the other one so that new charges will not get put on your account. You will still have to deal with the debt that you acknowledge that you owe.
  • 01-19-2006 2:58 AM In reply to

• Pyr0
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-01-2004
    • Posts 51

re: company is charging credit card without authorization

I would try to file a chargeback with your credit card company or bank and if they wont let you then simply have the card disabled. I ran into a similar situation with paypal and ebay trying to do this to me. I simply had the card disabled and got a new one which fixed the problem :)
  • 01-20-2006 1:13 PM In reply to

re: company is charging credit card without authorization

>>I am in and out of town, on business. I left a copy of my credit card with the rental company, so I may call in payment, incase I am out of town.<<

Why on earth would you do that? When payments are due, you could have just called them with the CC information.

>>The charges has caused overdraft charges and insufficient funds, on my account. What, if anything, can be done?<<

How can there be overdrafts and NSFs on a credit card? Is this a debit card??? And if so, you either gave permission in the agreement papers for the store to do this, or they took your card and entered it without the PIN. I can't think of many places that allow to do non-pin transactions.

Is it that the rental company asked for a copy of your card? I'd read your agreement carefully, I bet there's language that allows them to do this.

Regards, and good luck,

Allison
  • 01-21-2006 11:02 PM In reply to

Note [#=#] re: company is charging credit card without authorization

I know that it was a bonehead decision, to leave my card. The rental company said that they are not able to take cc over the phone, they have to have a card on file...and yes, it is a debit/credit card...
    lilward5
  • 01-21-2006 11:04 PM In reply to

Agree [=|=] re: company is charging credit card without authorization

Thank you, so much

lilward5
  • 01-21-2006 11:05 PM In reply to

Ok [+0+] re: company is charging credit card without authorization

Thank you. I really appreciate the feedback.

lilward5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community