Squatter's rights in New Jersey

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 05-19-2006 4:05 PM by Drew. 2 replies.
  • 05-19-2006 11:04 AM

Question [=?] Squatter's rights in New Jersey

My family lives in my husband's parent's house. My father-in-law left the family 25 years ago to start a new life in another state. My mother-in-law left 9 years ago to live with her daughter in another state. My husband paid the last 15 years of the mortgage, and we have paid the taxes and every upkeep needed on the house together for almost 8 years. My mother-in-law refuses to sell us the house. My husband has lived here 40 years this year (moved in was he was 6 with his parents). Does he have Squatter's Rights to this property? There also was a small home equity loan taken out 9 years ago that is still open (father-in-law and mother-in-law gave my husband power of attorney to sign their names.)
  • 05-19-2006 11:19 AM In reply to

re: Squatter's rights in New Jersey

"My mother-in-law refuses to sell us the house."

I'm sorry, but you can't force her to sell the house to you.

"Does he have Squatter's Rights to this property?"

No. I can't imagine that he can argue he's been living there without permission. If he didn't bother entering into an arrangement whereby he was doing more than essentially paying rent/upkeep on the place, that was clearly a mistake.

"There also was a small home equity loan taken out 9 years ago that is still open (father-in-law and mother-in-law gave my husband power of attorney to sign their names.)"

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

Husband can confirm with a local real estate attorney. Make sure that if one tells him differently that he make them outline the legal basis for it in a *written* legal opinion; it would be best to avoid paying tens of thousands fighting for something just to line a lawyer's pockets.

• 05-19-2006 4:05 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,518

re: Squatter's rights in New Jersey

I strongly agree that it most unlikley that hubby has acquired squatters rights (adverse possession) of the place. His occupancy of the place hardly sounds like it was without permission at somepoint!

And if you cork off too much its likley that true owner can get you as a tenant evicted OR pass thru a whopping rent increase.

You might be very wise not to kick a sleeping dog.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community