Oil and Gas Lease

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 11-16-2006 11:34 AM by Fxston. 4 replies.
  • 11-15-2006 5:52 PM

Question [=?] Oil and Gas Lease

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I need to find an atty to review an oil and gas lease contract I rec'd recently. It appears an exploration outfit wants to drill for oil/gas on land I didn't know I had rights to in Oklahoma. What kind of atty do I look for and I've been told I should go through an Oklahoma atty for advice. I live in California and will probably have an atty here look it over, but I'm not sure if that will be good enough. Thanks for any help!
  • 11-15-2006 6:02 PM In reply to

re: Oil and Gas Lease

"I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I need to find an atty to review an oil and gas lease contract I rec'd recently."

The boards don't do referrals; you can try the "find a lawyer" feature or the local and state bar associations.

"What kind of atty do I look for and I've been told I should go through an Oklahoma atty for advice."

The attorney would have to be licensed to practice in OK, yes. You'd want someone who knows OK law.
  • 11-15-2006 6:49 PM In reply to

Question [=?] re: Oil and Gas Lease

Thanks for the quick response. My question was for what kind of atty? Contract law, real estate lease law, wills/probate? Who would have expertise in oil and gas contracts? Thanks again and for confirmation of the necessity for an OK atty. I was told they might try and cut into the deal, and to be careful.
  • 11-15-2006 11:26 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,519

Oil and gas rights can get very state specific--I'd use only an OK counsel and I'd specifically want one with that kind of contract experience--ask up front.

On what basis do you think you hold rights in OK?
    Deed? Go get a copy of your deed!

Its not uncommon for surface vs mineral rights to be sold separately in some states.

• 11-16-2006 11:34 AM In reply to

"... wills/probate?"

Come on now -- wills and probate?? :)

"Who would have expertise in oil and gas contracts?"

If you search the terms "oil gas attorney Oklahoma", you'll get plenty of results and the word "energy" will come up. Might wind up being a real estate attorney that also specializes in oil-gas leases; it might be an energy attorney. I'm smelling trouble before you even start here if this kind of research is an issue.

"I was told they might try and cut into the deal, and to be careful."

Not sure what this has to do with your question, but okay. :)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community