Civil Rights of Sex Offenders

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 11-20-2006 3:33 PM by LynnM. 8 replies.
  • 11-13-2006 9:53 AM

Question [=?] Civil Rights of Sex Offenders

What are the legal rights of a sex offender?
  • 11-13-2006 10:48 AM In reply to

re: Civil Rights of Sex Offenders

"What are the legal rights of a sex offender?"

Like everyone else, even sex offenders have dozens, if not hundreds of rights. Is there something specific you wanted to know?
  • 11-17-2006 1:15 PM In reply to

Question [=?] re: Civil Rights of Sex Offenders

yes, if you plea out to "deferred Judication" and the laws were changed after you we senteced to 6 yrs probation.How can you be made to go by the new laws?
  • 11-17-2006 1:50 PM In reply to

The courts have ruled that registrtion requirements are not "punitive" in nature, and that applying them retrocatively does not therefore violate the defendants rights.

It is thus legal for a State to require someone who was convicted of a sex crime to register annually, even if the registration requirement did not exist when they were convicted.

As to whether someone who was not - technically at least - *convicted* of such a crime because they agreed to deferred adjudication can be required to register, that's going to depend on the specific wording of TX sex offender law, and no TX lawyers follow this board.

As to the remarks in your profile that he has made his peace with the victim, and fulfilled his debt to society, that comes back to the issue that the registration is not considered punitive - it's not designed to further punish the offender, but to warn other potential victims.

Richard
  • 11-17-2006 7:58 PM In reply to

Sad [:(] re: Civil Rights of Sex Offenders

I understand that it warns off other victims . I get that ! However I don't understand why he has to register at the police station and go every year to register at the DPS as well. And there are others that only had to register for 2yrs or 5yrs and there
    victims were under the age of 10. Look I understand that his crime is unforgiving in the eyes of society, but why should we as a family all pay for a crime " we " did'nt commit ! And how is he suppose to obtain gainful employment to sustain this family if society thinks that they are above the laws of GOD! And to top it off his victim recanted before he even went court and even then the Prosocutor refused to take it or hear it . Thus the out come ! Seems that in this country "if " you have money you can be overlooked and "if your poor they use you as an example.
  • 11-18-2006 7:57 PM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-22-2000
    • MA
    • Posts 6,714

" don't understand why he has to register at the police station and go every year to register at the DPS as well. "

Because the law says so.

That's all the answer you need.
  • 11-19-2006 12:00 AM In reply to

"And to top it off his victim recanted before he even went court and even then the Prosocutor refused to take it or hear it . Thus the out come !"

The outcome, you told us, was a deferred adjudcation. That means he voluntarily made an admission of guilt. If the victim had recanted her story, he could have pled not guilty, gone to trial, and hoped for an acquittal.

Whether the Prosecutor believed the recantation or not is irrelevant - it's his job to get convictions.

The fact is, your husband admitted to the crime, and now has to comply with the legal consquences of that.

Richard
  • 11-19-2006 9:11 PM In reply to

Sad [:(] re: Civil Rights of Sex Offenders

Thanx ,
    I understand the out come ,just unwilling to except it. However would like to thank you for answering my questions and would like any others reading this " If she looks 18 and dresses and acts like 18 check her ID". You too my find out she's not as old as she seems. I see it everytime I pick up a paper ! Another fool branded with this
    "scarlet letter" Take care and Thank You
  • 11-20-2006 3:33 PM In reply to

There's a very simple solution. Don't have sex with people you don't know very well.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community