Received citation for driving across esplanade (median)

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Jan 6 2006 4:28 PM by t_kopecky. 7 replies.
  • Fri, Jan 6 2006 2:50 PM

Angry [:@] Received citation for driving across esplanade (median)

Yesterday, received citation for 'driving across median'. First of all, didn't know this was a law. Please read scenario:

Turning left onto Lake Houston Pkwy from East Belt Southbound (B8). Both are divided roads. There was a tractor-trailer that stalled in front of me--also turning left--halfway through the turn. Rather than sit in the intersection and be rear-ended, I drove onto and off of the center divider (grass) with my two left tires, and proceeded on down the road. I was on the divider for approximately 10 feet of travel. Apparently, I am a burden to society.

Would like some advice on how to handle this. I refuse to accept guilt, even though I did technically drive on the median. Would like to get out of this screwy situation without paying, but would rather pay a lawyer than the county. Officer was a Harris County Constable.
  • Fri, Jan 6 2006 3:21 PM In reply to

Question [=?] re: Received citation for driving across esplanade (median)

Do I understand you to say that you passed a vehicle at an intersection that was turning left on the left side of that vehicle by going onto the median?
  • Fri, Jan 6 2006 3:52 PM In reply to

re: Received citation for driving across esplanade (median)

This vehicle was a tractor-trailer that had stalled in the intersection. There is 1 left turn lane that becomes 2 after turning. This truck turned in to the far lane and stopped. This left me behind him blocking the intersection. I chose to save my own rear.

In my view, my actions were similar to someone swerving into the shoulder on a fast moving freeway to avoid a sudden object in the road. By my not being behind the truck, the intersection was clear of traffic.
  • Fri, Jan 6 2006 3:55 PM In reply to

When I say stalled, I mean that the engine of the truck died, and was sitting idle in the roadway.
  • Fri, Jan 6 2006 4:05 PM In reply to

That's all fine and dandy but you didn't answer my question. Did you pass the truck in the intersection and on the left?
  • Fri, Jan 6 2006 4:11 PM In reply to

Absolutely. In an evasion situation, any escape path is preferrential to being hit.
  • Fri, Jan 6 2006 4:18 PM In reply to

I'd suggest you get an attorney. You violated at least three primary traffic laws in one fell swoop--passing on the left of a turning vehicle, passing in an intersection AND passing in the median. Going around the truck isn't the issue, it's doing it on the left of a truck that is attempting to turn and in the middle of an intersection. Had you given it more than a moment's thought, you could have moved over and passed safely on the right. What happens if there happened to be a vehicle coming the other way turning left? Either he hits you or you hit him and in both instances, you're at fault.
  • Fri, Jan 6 2006 4:28 PM In reply to

This is a good example of where a diagram would help. Thanks for your opinions. I guess you had to be there...
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community