Leaving the scene of car accident, REVOKED LICENSE? FLORIDA

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 10-30-2006 3:54 PM by d00fy. 4 replies.
  • 10-28-2006 9:10 PM

• d00fy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-28-2006
    • Posts 2

Feedback [*=*] Leaving the scene of car accident, REVOKED LICENSE? FLORIDA

Hello I am florida, I recently got into an accident where i left the scene of the accident the section is 316.061

"The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle or other property which is driven or attended by any person shall immediately stop such vehicle at the scene of such accident or as close thereto as possible, and shall forthwith return to, and in every event shall remain at the scene of the accident until he has fulfilled the requirements of s. 316.062. Any person failing to stop or comply with said requirements shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine of not more than $500 or by imprisonment for not more than 60 days or by both such fine and imprisonment. "

I have got myself a lawyer, I dunno how the case is going, cause the 2nd court date is on November 17, hopefully he will try to go for a dismiss or work something out, but in situations like this where you need your License to get to work, can they spare you ? by doing volunteer work, paying fines and so on? or have a restricted time on my license to goto work and school. I explained to him why I left the scene and it was due to me personally beind stressed out from quiting my job/looking for new work, reapply to goto school for mba degree, and when the accident occured I asked the lady was she alright she said YAH WTF in tone that kinda got me nervous cause the cop probably be on her side and give me a hard time cause im young(23) and driving a nice car, give him a reason to mess with me .

Lawyer said as long as i didn't leave for the bad reasons such as DUI,DRUGS or something bad i shouldn;t worry, but i cant stop thinking about it I dont want to loose my license
  • 10-30-2006 10:49 AM In reply to

re: Leaving the scene of car accident, REVOKED LICENSE? FLORIDA

First of all, it doesn't matter a bit why you left, you left. Period.

The penalty is fine or jail or both.

Doesn't include revocation or suspension so I don't think you'll have a problem there unless you have prior citations and the accumulated points result in suspension or revocation.

If this is your first offense I'm guessing you'll just get hit with a fine.
    • The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 10-30-2006 11:34 AM In reply to

Why would you think that "being stressed" is an acceptable reason for leaving the scene of an accident?

Accidents are stressful. Everyone is "stressed" when they are involved in an accident. If "stress" were an acceptable reason to leave an accident scene, no one would ever stay.
  • 10-30-2006 3:54 PM In reply to

• d00fy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-28-2006
    • Posts 2

I have prior speeding tickets, my case is set for disposition on nov 17, which my lawyer will attend, hopefully for the best outcome i hope i dont get my license revoked or suspended, and i truly learned from my stupid mistake by leaving the accident regardless if i was stressed/nervous and scared/ i should of stayed

• 10-30-2006 8:15 PM In reply to

Florida point system

12 points earned within 12 months results in a 30-day suspension.
    18 points earned within 18 months results in a 3-month suspension.
    24 points earned within 36 months results in a 12-month suspension.

And here's the point table at the bottom of the following page:

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/teendriv.html#points

Depending on how many prior speeding tickets you got, what the speed was, what caused the current accident, plus the 6 points for leaving the scene, I'm guessing there's a good possibility of at least a one month suspension, quite likely 3 months.

I really hope you have learned something. Because if you don't clean up your act you could be dead before you are 24.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community