The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

My employer won't give me my final paycheck.

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Jul 21 2006 11:41 PM by dearvalerie. 3 replies.
  • Fri, Jul 21 2006 5:42 PM

Question [=?] My employer won't give me my final paycheck.

I had a signed agreement with my now former employer that stated I could terminate employment 'at will' without notice, etc. I walked out of that fifth circle of hell last Friday afternoon. Wednesday of this week was the scheduled payday for last week. They are refusing to give me my paycheck ( I was a salaried employee) ; the only reason they give is that I never turned back in the worn and stained two shirts they gave me to wear during our auctions (it is an auction house). Since I regularly put in over 40 hours a week there and ate lunch at my desk if I ate and even went after work to look at merchandise and edited their online cataloque from home at night sometimes; this is an especially bitter pill to swallow. They know I am a single mother and that they are causing me hardship. What can I do? It is only a $500.00 paycheck and yet this very financially secure business sees fit to torment me.
  • Fri, Jul 21 2006 6:28 PM In reply to

• LynnM
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 3 2000
    • CA
    • Posts 28,248

re: My employer won't give me my final paycheck.

Turn in the shirts. If they still don;t give you your paycheck, call the state dept of labor for assistance.
  • Fri, Jul 21 2006 7:19 PM In reply to

Contact the state dept of labor folks and file a wage claim.

Also, the fact that you were a salaried employee is meaningless as to whether you were entitled to overtime pay. Look into that as well via the DOL.gov site. If you weren't in a managerial-supervisory position, you're likely non-exempt and entitled to OT.

• Fri, Jul 21 2006 11:41 PM In reply to

I can't turn in the shirts. They gave them to me and I never had to sign anything saying they owned them. I laundered them at my own expense and they had permanent stains from the grease on some of the antique bayonets I handled at work so when I quit last week I threw them away. I was never told at any time that the shirts would have to be returned when I left. They gave all the employees shirts. Plus, it doesn't seem like one issue should be able to affect the other. I think they just want to punish me for leaving.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community