Landlord's Right To Entry - North Carolina

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 01-21-2009 5:17 PM by Drew. 2 replies.
  • 01-21-2009 3:50 PM

Landlord's Right To Entry - North Carolina

Are there any rights set forth by the state of North Carolina for the tenant of a rental property regarding a landlord's Right To Entry. I am having difficutly finding anything specific for North Carolina law. I would like to know what my rights are as a tenant in limiting access of the Landlord to the property.

I'm having difficutly with a landlord who is coming into the property without notice to show the property to perspective tenants as I will be moving to a different unit in the same property. I've also had difficulty with the landlord entering the property for non-emergency reasons in my absence without prior notification or request for permission.
  • 01-21-2009 4:33 PM In reply to

re: Landlord's Right To Entry - North Carolina

Unlike other states, it appears that the NC landlord/tenant statutes do not address the LL right of entry:

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/Statutes/StatutesTOC.pl?Chapter=0042

The next place you look is your lease.

If your lease doesn't address it, you are free to insist that that your landlord provide you with "reasonable" notice.

"Reasonable" is, of course, in the eye of the beholder.

If you were moving out of that property I might suggest that you are free to turn the landlord and his prostective tenant away and insist on notice, call the police if he gives you trouble, and file a restraining order if things get out of hand.

However, since he's still going to be your landlord after you move, I suggest you be a little more subtle as you really don't want to make your landlord your enemy.

Have you tried asking for some notice?

If that doesn't work, you could keep a vacuum cleaner bag full of dust and a bag of corn chips handy. Next time the LL comes to the door with a prospect, you could sprinkle both all over the floor and answer the door in your underwear.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 01-21-2009 5:17 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,510

re: Landlord's Right To Entry - North Carolina

I agree--why declare war with future LL---But there should be some 2 way street and level of notice etc...
    LT law may be silent but generally a lease gives tenant right to exclusive use and quiet enjoyment--and to be on tour 24/7 is neither of these---of course your lease may say otherwise.

I agree--greet a prospect 1 time in 1/2 your underwear with a few used condoms on doorknobs and you'll send a message to make sure more advance notice is given.........

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community