HTA

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Jan 31 2008 9:30 AM by Dianalb50. 5 replies.
  • Mon, Jan 28 2008 9:46 AM

• Dianalb50
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 7 2007
    • Posts 45

Question [=?] HTA

A murder case in CA is showing this abbreviation of HTA in the status for a number of charges while the other charges are being shown as found true. Can someone tell me what HTA stands for? I have searched the internet high and low and cannot find a definition for this abbreviation. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Mon, Jan 28 2008 10:36 AM In reply to

re: HTA

I'm guessing because every court has it's own shorthand. Where I practice, HTA is shorthand for "held to answer."
  • Tue, Jan 29 2008 7:37 AM In reply to

• Dianalb50
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 45

Question [=?] re: HTA

I don't want to sound stupid but then what does held to answer mean? They are still waiting on a jury decision? Or is this another form of a guilty verdict? Thanks alot for your response.
  • Tue, Jan 29 2008 11:56 AM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: HTA

When someone is held to answer it means they've gone through a preliminary hearing and the court found sufficient evidence for the defendant to be bound over for trial. As Jamye pointed out, every court has it own shorthand abbreviations so we can't know if that's actually the status of the case. You can call the clerk's office to ask.
  • Tue, Jan 29 2008 1:31 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: HTA

>>>>A murder case in CA is showing this abbreviation of HTA in the status for a number of charges while the other charges are being shown as found true.

>>>>Can someone tell me what HTA stands for?

See prior posts.

>>>> [Not asked] Can someone tell me what
    the other charges being shown as found true means.

My guess is that there are "enhancements" that accompany the murder charge. A determination of "guilty" or "not guilty" is not made for enhancements at trial. Rather, enhancements are merely found to be true or not true. Thus, I assume in a preliminary hearing and/or a grand jury proceeding, if the HTA relates to the court's determination that there is sufficient probable cause for the case to proceed to trial, the court also found the enhancements to be true by the same standard; i.e., probable cause as compared to proof beyond a reasonable doubt [the standard at trial].
  • Thu, Jan 31 2008 9:30 AM In reply to

• Dianalb50
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 45

re: HTA

Thanks alot for the responses. They were greatly appreciated.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community